It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Our Made In Poland sale is up and running, gathering some of the best titles created by the talented people of Poland with discounts as high as 90% off.

In addition to that we’ve prepared a special contest for you, where you can win awesome game bundle containing: Space Tail: Every Journey Leads Home, Kao the Kangaroo and Nadir: A Grimdark Deck Builder.

What do you need to do in order to win? Just answer us this one simple question:

Linear or not - which type of games do you prefer, and why?

You can find the rules HERE.

We’re waiting for your answers until November 13th, 11 PM UTC. Good luck!
I prefer linear games nowadays. I like to have the structure and direction to my gaming mainly because it's nice to just let my brain turn itself off and be able to play without having to think too hard about anything. In fact, I'll play games on their easiest settings and turn on any accessibility options like invincibility just so I don't have to think too hard about the mechanics and puzzles and mastery and such. I know it's weird to do this in order to relax when I could just watch a movie or read a book instead, but gaming is a core part of my life and I find it more appealing than watching movies or reading books when I want to unwind and/or kill some time during the day. I guess I'm weird like that.
My favorite type of game is open world exploration so in that sense, I do not like linear games. Some of my favorite are Deus Ex. Prey and Divinity: Original Sin which allow for many choices in both game-play and ending. I do not like having my hand held and do not enjoy a narrow game-play experience.
I love both types of games, depending on my mood. But these days I have been drawn to open world far more often than linear games.

There's a sense of exploration and discovery when you rush into places, just taking the environment and learning to orient yourself. I would say that figuring out your path and any shortcuts you figure out on your own is an incredibly satisfying experience. (This feeling is the basis for my interest in metroidvanias too.)

There's also the curiosity of wondering what is behind every corner, that I can remember my infant self had in the real world and I can just indulge myself in from within the safety of a game.

That said, linear games can be awesome when I want to be more "methodical", feeling like just following a proven formula. At those times I just put my creativity down and plow on until I win (or get bored/stuck) for the sake of following the story. So I love both types.
GOG.com: What do you need to do in order to win? Just answer us this one simple question:

Ah, see - asking that question may be easy...but answering it, not so much.
Because I like both systems.

With some games, I like the guidance that their linearity provides me...while with other games, I love the freedom which an open world offers.

I guess, in the end, it depends what a game has to offer gameplay-wise.
An open world can be frustrating and draining, if there's nothing worthwile in it to discover.

On the other hand, a strictly linear gameplay that only suggests (!) a bigger world to be around (but without giving us access to it) can be equally frustrating.

So, like I said: it really depends.
I prefer linear games with open solutions or open games with a linear thread to follow. I've realized over the years that I get worn out and lose motivation when there isn't a clear goal for me to chase.

A linear game I love: Resident Evil 4
An open game I love: Stardew Valley
I honestly prefer a sandbox approach to games, and I end up preferring nonlinear design just because being confined to a set path can be a downer. Even allowing multiple approaches in, say, an arena can make all the difference.
Hello. I prefer games that are often linear (or at least partially) for a better mastery of the story, gameplay etc....

The kind of games I prefer are usually management and strategy games (although I'm not very good at them). But I also enjoy other types of games as long as they are well done. Like horror games like Outlast. Or adventure games from "teltale game" and "quantic dream" studio. Also good platform games like the Kao you just released.

I also like some puzzle games like "The Entropy Centre". They are great games. ❤
That's rather difficult question to answer, since I feel like different "rules" apply to different genres.

Mostly for RPG's I find myself wanting as much freedom of choice and possibility for offtrack exploration, so open world with non-narrative gameplay with expanded modification possibilities would be my take.
It doesn't matter slightest if it is either turn-based or realtime.

As for strategy games I prefer turn-based games anyday. As for strategy games I am not into sandbox-like gameplay, I almost require some kind of storyline and constant questlines to be followed/completed, instead of typical "eliminate them all and win".

Then there's visual novels for example. As I am not gamer who likes to replay over and over same game, I want to experience as much of story as possible in one playthrough, since second playthrough happening in the next 2-3 years is very unlikely. Because of that, in visual novels, I like to have rather straightforward experience without multiple endings and/or choices which will differ heavily from other options.

I could go on and on as per different genres in thoughts. As per favourite game genre, I don't have any - it will depend completely on current mood and itch.
Not liniar -because I want to be able to choose....
I like to immerse myself in game worlds and stories rather than competing with others in multi-player games! Solo and CO-OP games are fun for me. I l ike to play on my own time and be a bit more relaxed! RPGs are my favorite. Nice Giveaway!
I prefer linear games, but that's mostly because those are more often the ones that utilise the chosen structure well, whereas open world games way too often seem to only have been made open world because it's a "back of the box" buzz word (buzz phrase?) that sells well. The result can be a boring, bland open world that mostly just wastes my time with traveling form A to B without giving the journey the much needed sense of adventure, exploration and doesn't really inform the story, world building or the character. When an open world is done well it can be fantastic, giving the setting a chance to be fully fleshed out, and the player a sense of belonging. But a bad open world will absolutely suck any joy and life out of a game. It is much harder to mess up a linear game with equally disastrous results.

Of course the question oversimplifies the matter quite a bit. You can have an open world game with a linear main storyline. You can have a game with a linear progression of semi-open areas and branching story choices in each one. You can have a game with a linear narrative that still allows you to freely travel between a number of explorable areas at any time. And probably numerous other mixes of linear and non-linear elements.

Personaly, I prefer a game that has enough a of a linear "core", regardless of other elements, to allow for a palpable sense of progress even in relatively short sesssions, but in the end what really is crucial is the devs choosing the right structure for their game. Uncharted games are great because of their tight pacing and movie like presentation only possibly in a strictly linear game. The Witcher 3 only achieves its full potential through the myriad side stories and player choices, giving the player a true sense of being a wandering monster slayer in a vast world full a huge events and small, personal tragedies and triumphs. Batman Arkham Asylum is the best of the Arkham games because of a tight linear narrative packed into a single, atmospheric location, which is however still big enough to create a sense of real place and fun of some exploration.
I love both and there's space for both but it comes down to my mood at the time. I really gravitate towards linear games when I have less time, so that I can feel like I progressed. But if I have time and want to relax and chill, then open world is great for that!

My favorite genres happen to be quite linear in general, puzzle and RPG. Some open world RPGs tire me out because it seems they're only open for the sake of it and don't really fill the space to justify that. I have played some great open world RPGs though. Really depends on what the devs do with it.

Yet when I think of my overall favorite games, they're nearly all linear. It's a great way to tell a story for sure!
GOG.com: Our Made In Poland sale is up and running, gathering some of the best titles created by the talented people of Poland with discounts as high as 90% off.

In addition to that we’ve prepared a special contest for you, where you can win awesome game bundle containing: Space Tail: Every Journey Leads Home, Kao the Kangaroo and Nadir: A Grimdark Deck Builder.

What do you need to do in order to win? Just answer us this one simple question:

You can find the rules HERE.

We’re waiting for your answers until November 13th, 11 PM UTC. Good luck!
Is the question actually that simple? The more I think about it, the less sure I am what a linear game even is. And what a non-linear one is for that matter.
Anyway, I'd say it depends on how long I can play: for shortish sessions I'd go linear and for longer sessions non-linear is the way.
Post edited November 22, 2022 by servobeupstry