It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Liberté! Égalité! Spécialité!

<span class="bold">Tooth and Tail</span>, a grimly satirical RTS about organized animal cruelty, is coming soon, DRM-free, to GOG.com.

Time to break the (food) chains! The War for Meat has thrown the animal kingdom into upheaval and everyone is out to subdue and consume their opponents. Customize your faction and lead an army of aggressive fuzzballs through procedurally generated maps to burn, gut, or blast the other woodland creatures into gooey pixels. Then you can go online and brutalize your friends' furry pets, unless they're willing to swing by for some couch split-screen play.

Watch the hairy trailer.
Post edited July 18, 2017 by maladr0Id

bhrigu: ?? the dev appears to be a GOG veteran!
Or took a real long time to get the game done.
ReynardFox: I will never enjoy RTS, and this time it really hurts as I adore the premise and art in this.
You never know! There is an extensive single player campaign and we built the control scheme to be really easy to pick up and play. I dislike the furious multitasking and complicated controls of RTS too, even though I love the genre.
bhrigu: ?? the dev appears to be a GOG veteran!
mechmouse: Or took a real long time to get the game done.
Haha well it did take us a long time, but not that long! We started in 2014. I've just been around for a while :)
Post edited July 14, 2017 by ajschatz
It's not my fav genre, but I am very interested. It could be one of the few RTS titles that gets me. It reminds me of Inherit the Earth, and I love rodents.
ajschatz: We really wanted to harken back to the golden era of RTS (Command and Conquer, Warcraft 2), but use modern graphics cards for an ass-load of shader effects, etc. We also wanted to try to make sure new content was fast to produce, since we'll be adding lots of content post launch!
It's just a strong concept that is one those things that I've always wanted to see get done in a certain way, but the way you're doing it is also a great look, especially if that means we get more content! Could you say anything about the amount of unit diversity compared to something like Command & Conquer?

Either way, I have high hopes for this and I'm looking forward to its release!
Post edited July 14, 2017 by Fortuk
This does look very interesting. Wishlisted for now.
ReynardFox: I will never enjoy RTS, and this time it really hurts as I adore the premise and art in this.
ajschatz: You never know! There is an extensive single player campaign and we built the control scheme to be really easy to pick up and play. I dislike the furious multitasking and complicated controls of RTS too, even though I love the genre.
mechmouse: Or took a real long time to get the game done.
ajschatz: Haha well it did take us a long time, but not that long! We started in 2014. I've just been around for a while :)
Well, furious multitasking to RTS is what shooting is in FPS - necessity.
Need a pre-order right now!

Good luck with your game it's on my wishlist ^__^
ajschatz: We really wanted to harken back to the golden era of RTS (Command and Conquer, Warcraft 2), but use modern graphics cards for an ass-load of shader effects, etc. We also wanted to try to make sure new content was fast to produce, since we'll be adding lots of content post launch!
Fortuk: It's just a strong concept that is one those things that I've always wanted to see get done in a certain way, but the way you're doing it is also a great look, especially if that means we get more content! Could you say anything about the amount of unit diversity compared to something like Command & Conquer?

Either way, I have high hopes for this and I'm looking forward to its release!
There are 4 commanders and 20 unit types currently in the game. We update balance frequently and plan to add lots more content post launch!

The units are split into 4 tiers: Tier 1, 2, 3, and Defensive Structures. The player builds Warrens, which automatically produce units up to a certain cap, and if a unit dies it will rebuild from that warren. Tier 1 warrens (like squirrels, lizards, etc) cost 60 food, can build up to 3 units, which cost 20 food apiece. Tier 2 (skunks, snakes, etc) is 120 food, and 60 food for each of 2 units, Tier 3 units (badgers, owls, etc) are the hero units, and the warren costs 180 food, and the unit costs 180 food. Build times are also different. Tier 1 warrens take 10 seconds, and each unit takes 10 seconds. Tier 2 is 20/20, and tier 3 is 40/40 seconds. Defensive structures have a variety of different build times/costs.
ajschatz: You never know! There is an extensive single player campaign and we built the control scheme to be really easy to pick up and play. I dislike the furious multitasking and complicated controls of RTS too, even though I love the genre.

Haha well it did take us a long time, but not that long! We started in 2014. I've just been around for a while :)
Mafwek: Well, furious multitasking to RTS is what shooting is in FPS - necessity.
The game is still fast, but given that all actions are done by the player commander, and the camera is locked to them, we removed multitasking and replaced it with a strategic choice... should I focus on base building, scouting, exploring, attacking, or defending? Player attention becomes a new resource to manage, while we got rid of the necessity to manage your macro in the middle of tactical combat.
Post edited July 14, 2017 by ajschatz
Fortuk: Oooooh. a Redwall-ish RTS?! Verrryyyyy nice.

As for the art: I like the pixel-style, but to me this game screams for a fully implemented storybook aesthetic (Odin Sphere), though I can understand this being way beyond their budget.

Really hoping that this will be good!
I've noticed the game on Steam lists Windows/Mac/Linux, meanwhile on GOG only Windows/Mac is listed. Any particular reason why the Linux version on GOG is seemingly left out? Thanks.
Ganni1987: I've noticed the game on Steam lists Windows/Mac/Linux, meanwhile on GOG only Windows/Mac is listed. Any particular reason why the Linux version on GOG is seemingly left out? Thanks.
#GalaxyNotOnLinux
We're going live on our twitch channel to talk about upcoming launch and show gameplay for anyone who wants to stop by! http://twitch.tv/pocketwatch
Ganni1987: I've noticed the game on Steam lists Windows/Mac/Linux, meanwhile on GOG only Windows/Mac is listed. Any particular reason why the Linux version on GOG is seemingly left out? Thanks.
I already asked about it and at the moment its not clear if they will release the Linux version here. They will check it and come back to us. Crossing fingers that we get the Linux version.
Haven't enjoyed an RTS in a very long while now, but this looks so damn pretty I think I'm gonna have to give it a go.
ajschatz: We're going live on our twitch channel to talk about upcoming launch and show gameplay for anyone who wants to stop by! http://twitch.tv/pocketwatch
Checked the stream and some other videos, like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rLiWlgFTxo
I'm liking the frantic pace and how macro gets kept to a minimum by tying your action radius to your leader. Reminds me of Sacrifice, though you could still place orders on the map in that game, whereas here you're locked in.

Hope you'll manage to implement LAN at some point once the definite version starts to take shape, as this looks a pretty fun LAN-party game.

ajschatz: There are 4 commanders and 20 unit types currently in the game. We update balance frequently and plan to add lots more content post launch!

The units are split into 4 tiers: Tier 1, 2, 3, and Defensive Structures. The player builds Warrens, which automatically produce units up to a certain cap, and if a unit dies it will rebuild from that warren. Tier 1 warrens (like squirrels, lizards, etc) cost 60 food, can build up to 3 units, which cost 20 food apiece. Tier 2 (skunks, snakes, etc) is 120 food, and 60 food for each of 2 units, Tier 3 units (badgers, owls, etc) are the hero units, and the warren costs 180 food, and the unit costs 180 food. Build times are also different. Tier 1 warrens take 10 seconds, and each unit takes 10 seconds. Tier 2 is 20/20, and tier 3 is 40/40 seconds. Defensive structures have a variety of different build times/costs.
Thanks for info!
Post edited July 15, 2017 by Fortuk
ajschatz: We're going live on our twitch channel to talk about upcoming launch and show gameplay for anyone who wants to stop by! http://twitch.tv/pocketwatch
So, from watching the stream, I got to the following stance:

Pros:
+ amazing art style and audio (I'm also a sucker for isometric 2D, and Eastern European inspiration helps)
+ base premise that has the potential for an excellent storyline
+ attempting to distance from the "(insert game here) clone" mentality and attempting to innovate
+ random map generation
+ customizable techtree which should differentiate the players and their play styles
+ no spamfests
+ clearly hinted gameplay-before-graphics approach
+ interesting split-screen idea - even if it fails, it's good that it's being experimented with

Cons:
- all commanders/factions are the same. Yes, I did hear about earlier builds having them different and ending up imbalanced or creating favoured commanders, but streamlining the gameplay that hard will backfire in making the game rather boring in the long run. When all units are shared among all four commanders, it's far easier to balance than your StarCraft or your Command & Conquer. I hope that this will change further in the development or post-launch.
- no LAN (at launch?)

The game has huge potential. I would like to try it out first-hand, and strongly hope that the game succeeds. In a dead and rather stale genre, this looks like a breath of fresh air, so I hope the minuses get resolved for a long-standing and future-proof game.
Post edited July 15, 2017 by Plokite_Wolf