It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Sachys: I was invited but didn't go.
Oh you missed out on the gourmet caviar that they handed out to the audience. But what do you care, your replicator knows your favorite pizza topping.
You'd be surprised of my tolerance of retardation - The Critical Drinker
Sachys: And I'm quoting this for the history books given you have zero understanding.
Quoting a funny thing Critical Drinker said midway, makes me have zero understanding....

I'm glad you enjoyed watching and listening to them over some of the highs and many lows of the show, as much as i did.
I haven't read the 10 pages of this thread, so what's the verdict? Is it worth watching?
maxleod: I haven't read the 10 pages of this thread, so what's the verdict? Is it worth watching?
News sites and imdb.com seems to feel it is a good TV series. Even I have gotten interested, but I figure should I first play Fallout 3,//New Vegas/4 first, just because? (I have already finished Fallout 1-2 and Tactics).

As far as I can tell, it isn't that "woke" either, and ethnic diversity makes sense in the Fallout universe, even the games were diverse in that sense. This is not God of War Ragnarok in a Norse setting.
maxleod: I haven't read the 10 pages of this thread, so what's the verdict? Is it worth watching?
It's a lot better than your ability to count. But "worth watching" depends on your taste and you're giving us nothing to work with.
LegoDnD: It's a lot better than your ability to count. But "worth watching" depends on your taste and you're giving us nothing to work with.
If it depends on taste, what kind of people like the series and what kind of people don't? Your answer is like a generic ChatGPT reply: "There are many different opinions on the series and it depends on your taste."

The amount of pages on this thread depends on your forum settings, e.g. I see 4 pages.
Post edited April 21, 2024 by timppu
idbeholdME: 1) If you are a fan of the OG Fallouts and maybe New Vegas - you probably won't like it.
2) If you like Bethesda's Fallout - you probably will like it.
timppu: If it depends on taste, what kind of people like the series and what kind of people don't? Your answer is like a generic ChatGPT reply: "There are many different opinions on the series and it depends on your taste."

The amount of pages on this thread depends on your forum settings, e.g. I see 4 pages.
I keep forgetting that "max posts per-page" isn't the default, sorry.

Adaption value aside, it's a violent sci-fi/western. If you ever wanted Mad Max to visit a 50's nostalgia cafe, it's the show for you.
AWG43: I'd be very surprised he say otherwise. I believe that everyone who has been invited to the show premiere had a very good impression afterwards.
Sachys: I was invited but didnt go.
You made Todd Howard disappointed. Be careful 'cause now he knows where you live.
LegoDnD: It's a lot better than your ability to count. But "worth watching" depends on your taste and you're giving us nothing to work with.
If you have 20 posts per page, it's a 10 page topic.
timppu: Your answer is like a generic ChatGPT reply:
"There are many different opinions on the series and it depends on your taste."
I mean: it may be a generic sounding answer, but that doesn't make it a wrong answer.
There EXIST (many) different opinions on the series, and one's opinion DOES depend on one's taste.

How would anyone be able to tell, what sort of people like this show?
LegoDnD said: "If you ever wanted Mad Max to visit a 50's nostalgia cafe, it's the show for you."

Here's the thing: I never wanted Mad Max to visit a 50s nostalgia cafe, nor would that description have ever crossed my mind.

So - Why did I enjoy the show?
Nobody but me can tell.
And I won't - just to keep up the suspense. XD
I think the Fallout show is a triumph. It took three episodes to find its footing, but then shines in all departments. Rare that I'm coming across something nowadays that I have no real complaints about and am happy with, but this is one of those occasions. It looks good throughout, the story arc is clever, the writing and acting stellar in places. Glad this is on track for a second season.
From what i've gathered, it's a very mixed bag.

Pros: Looks nice and mostly follows the setting
Isn't completely woke. (There are DEI injections obviously)

Cons: Bad writing & Inconsistency
Everyone seems to be incompetent and/or stupid
Huge plot holes
DEI injections
Breaks lore
Plot armor and conveniences of timing for the plot to actually happen.

If you can look past that then i'm sure you'll enjoy the show, great stuff 8/10!
If you can't stand stupid people doing stupid things to move the plot along, then you'll probably hate it. 3/10

Personally i'd prefer a semi-4th wall breaking isekai take; Like just about any Korean VRMMO Mangas in the last 5-10 years where they (and only they) can see a blue screen, know they are in a game setting and yet things are not just playing out as 'just a game'. Add some time-loop sections reminiscent of loading/saving (and they have a strong feeling something is going to happen, or after a few deaths know where X trap/ambush is and acts accordingly with future knowledge) or popups saying when a talent/ability kicked in, and why, or more hilariously when they utterly fail and has a funny result (Pit trap event!. Luck activated. Failed... sucks to be you...:( !!! ). Maybe have a scene or two of him going to a mirror and just talking to himself, except he's talking to the viewers, then forgets it happened like leaving a lucid dream to a regular one, or it reloads to 5 minutes prior; Or a Diary where he's making records into the virtual pip-boy that's closer to a wrist watch since he has the blue screen.

If you are competent in writing, you could likely ignore the video game aspects and make a serious and gritty or good series, and it would work. But the best parts tend otherwise in my opinion tend to be when it's mixed in video game elements, since we (and likely the protag) aren't native to any of these worlds they portray.
Post edited April 21, 2024 by rtcvb32
rtcvb32: [...]]There are DEI injections obviously[/i]) [...]
What has dependency injection got to do with it? (and you do not need to write injection, that is what the I in in the abrivation stands for, it is like saying PIN number)
Depends. I personally give it 6/10 (decided to be very generous and not go 5/10). Mostly because it's better than the majority of stuff pumped out these days (which is why I think it seems to be getting lauded everywhere with 9s and 10s, but it is above average at best), especially for a game adaptation. But the show does have its issues and is VERY far from perfect. You're gonna have to try a couple episodes to see if you can get into the vibe.

Maybe add 0.5 or 1 point, if you can detach the show from the games in your mind. Treating it as "just a show" instead of the 100% canon thing they are trying to push it as helps a lot.
Post edited April 23, 2024 by idbeholdME