It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Lifthrasil: Most important question: who mods the next game?
I like the way you think. :)
bler144: Instead we're kinda like a bunch of drunk friends who gather up to play sloppily and yell at each other.
SirPrimalform: This is what I like about GOG mafia. I wouldn't want to play somewhere like MU because I have no desire to take it that seriously. Also I'm just terrible at the game.
Having scampered a bit through this thread and read some of the championship stuff (ohhh my goddddd...) I heartily agree.

I, too, am terrible at this game... But strangely intrigued by it.
Vitek: Goddam you all. This is not why I came back, this is why I left.
Please do come back. I understand the frustration, but as noted, friends do get frustrated with each other sometimes.

I think what I've observed over the past two years is that the issue isn't that we sometimes disagree, we just have a hard time sometimes coming back to the table and apologizing when we bleep up. And certainly, we've had some folks in the past just unwilling to acknowledge mistakes or seek reconciliation.

But I do think that at least everyone who did play this game had their heart in the right place, even if I also understand how they came to be at odds.

Even having gotten pretty frustrated myself, I don't perceive any animus amongst the folks still standing.

As a side note, trying to address part of what Poppy is speaking to, I suggested way back (ironically it was Drealmer's first game) that one way to address onboarding new players is to bend the rules against talking outside of game and give them a neutral buddy outside the game that can help translate basic game concepts and strategies, and helping them filter through pages of personal noise, while also potentially moving some of that noise outside the game thread.

I realize a) that might be hard to balance where that line is of giving feedback without directly guiding, and b) that requires finding even more people willing to participate in the game in some fashion.

But actually, I think it could be done without too much demand since we tend to only have 1-2 newbies per game, and it might actually be preferable if that person hasn't been following the game closely and instead is only answering specific questions as asked.
PoppyAppletree: I'm sticking to my guns on A though. I found the back and forth between you and ZFR really funny, but it added an unmoderateable side chat into the game, especially when those titles were referenced in the body of in-game posts. Those messages weren't in full view for everyone to see, as in some cases they changed before everyone would have seen them. Regardless of whether they actually had any bearing on the game, their ability to affect it made it unfair on others. Additionally, as mentioned in the #53 thread flub's avatar stuff had a substantial impact on the game in play. I don't know if flub intended it from the start, but his avatar rapidly turned into a scum falseclaim which generated a very large amount of discussion. That tied my hands in acting, because I couldn't take back an element that was already inserted into the game. When he later changed his avatar to a Cylon toaster during the night phase, when communication was prohibited, it resulted in Joe vigging him. The overall impact of that was in my view unacceptable. Regardless of whether it's made a global rule, I would prohibit breadcrumbing/softclaims and any type of game communication using avatars and forum titles in future.
Fair enough. Personally I did wonder when did HSL change his title because I thought it might relate to him making an excuse for not voting D1.
bler144: Instead we're kinda like a bunch of drunk friends who gather up to play sloppily and yell at each other.
SirPrimalform: This is what I like about GOG mafia. I wouldn't want to play somewhere like MU because I have no desire to take it that seriously. Also I'm just terrible at the game.
Yes. That's my style too. We don't need VAR because this is not the world cup but a game where bunch of kids kick a tin can (which gets more competitive than a world cup game).
But as bler said it depends with what people want/expect.
Post edited July 29, 2018 by ZFR
bler144: As a side note, trying to address part of what Poppy is speaking to, I suggested way back (ironically it was Drealmer's first game) that one way to address onboarding new players is to bend the rules against talking outside of game and give them a neutral buddy outside the game that can help translate basic game concepts and strategies, and helping them filter through pages of personal noise, while also potentially moving some of that noise outside the game thread.

I realize a) that might be hard to balance where that line is of giving feedback without directly guiding, and b) that requires finding even more people willing to participate in the game in some fashion.

But actually, I think it could be done without too much demand since we tend to only have 1-2 newbies per game, and it might actually be preferable if that person hasn't been following the game closely and instead is only answering specific questions as asked.
Bookwyrm and adalia had a Quicktopic thread to share their thoughts since they were hotseating. Whilst I wouldn't allow the switch-in-and out that Bookwyrm and adalia had again since it messed up reads too much, I actually don't have any objections to giving two people a shared observation thread. If you pair a newbie with an observer in such a thread, you might be able to get what you're going for that way. I'm generally agnostic to how many people can be included in a single slot (likely due to frequently having two people share a spot in board games), but in Mafia I think it's important that there only be one voice regardless of how many people contribute to it.
Post edited July 29, 2018 by PoppyAppletree
PoppyAppletree: snip
Oh, that's a good improvement. Having it in a QT vs private PM makes it visible to the mod and thus presumably can step in if it starts going out of bounds.

Though certainly one more thing for a mod to have to monitor.
PoppyAppletree: Bookwyrm and adalia had a Quicktopic thread to share their thoughts since they were hotseating. Whilst I wouldn't allow the switch-in-and out that Bookwyrm and adalia had again since it messed up reads too much, I actually don't have any objections to giving two people a shared observation thread. If you pair a newbie with an observer in such a thread, you might be able to get what you're going for that way. I'm generally agnostic to how many people can be included in a single slot (likely due to frequently having two people share a spot in board games), but in Mafia I think it's important that there only be one voice regardless of how many people contribute to it.
While I agree that the temp substitution didn't really work I do think that a hydra style game of some kind would be fun where each slot is played by multiple players in some fashion. Or a coaching situation for newer players in need of assistance.

Obviously the issue is getting enough people to make that viable. Though I'd be much more inclined to play in an advisory role where I didn't need to participate or follow the thread quite so vigorously as I don't have the time any more to play properly.
TheGOGfather: ...
Could I please be added to the host list?

_ I'm really really really terrible at flavour. Expect a flavour-light game. Or a bad-flavour game.
_ I'd like to try some sort of semi-open setup. Because I like using random.org.
_ If possible, I'd appreaciate a host helper/mentor. Said person would only be needed if I stumble across something I'm not sure how to handle, like the order in which to resolve night actions. So (s)he would not have to invest a lot of time or follow the game thread. Ideal for an experienced mafia player who doesn't have the time to play. If GOGfather approves of this request, please PM me your CVs.

I'm available August-September.
ZFR: Could I please be added to the host list?
Yay! We found a host! I'm in!
ZFR: Could I please be added to the host list?

_ I'm really really really terrible at flavour. Expect a flavour-light game. Or a bad-flavour game.
_ I'd like to try some sort of semi-open setup. Because I like using random.org.
_ If possible, I'd appreaciate a host helper/mentor. Said person would only be needed if I stumble across something I'm not sure how to handle, like the order in which to resolve night actions. So (s)he would not have to invest a lot of time or follow the game thread. Ideal for an experienced mafia player who doesn't have the time to play. If GOGfather approves of this request, please PM me your CVs.

I'd be happy to advise on setup in advance. adalia would probably have more presence as an actual assistant mod, though.
ZFR: _ I'm really really really terrible at flavour. Expect a flavour-light game. Or a bad-flavour game.
Heh, for irony / double-meaning you could use this as your theme: https://www.jellybelly.com/beanboozled-challenge
Post edited July 30, 2018 by bler144
ZFR: _ I'm really really really terrible at flavour. Expect a flavour-light game. Or a bad-flavour game.
bler144: Heh, for irony / double-meaning you could use this as your theme: https://www.jellybelly.com/beanboozled-challenge
Can't get the link to open in EU. If anyone is interested, this is what it is:

https://web.archive.org/web/20180117135203/https://www.jellybelly.com/beanboozled-challenge
bler144: As a side note, trying to address part of what Poppy is speaking to, I suggested way back (ironically it was Drealmer's first game) that one way to address onboarding new players is to bend the rules against talking outside of game and give them a neutral buddy outside the game that can help translate basic game concepts and strategies, and helping them filter through pages of personal noise, while also potentially moving some of that noise outside the game thread.
That's actually not a bad idea. I seem to recall seeing one site or another where that was basically what they did for newbies; there would be a newbie game, and each newbie would have something of an advisor figure.

We have enough people around that kind of follow the game, but don't have to time to actually play, that acquiring these background mentors might not be an issue. Set up a QT for each pair, mentor can't comment in the game thread, and see how that works out.

ZFR: _ If possible, I'd appreaciate a host helper/mentor. Said person would only be needed if I stumble across something I'm not sure how to handle, like the order in which to resolve night actions. So (s)he would not have to invest a lot of time or follow the game thread. Ideal for an experienced mafia player who doesn't have the time to play. If GOGfather approves of this request, please PM me your CVs.
Most mods ask for a co-mod to help keep an eye on things. I'd be happy to serve this role for you.
ZFR: _ If possible, I'd appreaciate a host helper/mentor. Said person would only be needed if I stumble across something I'm not sure how to handle, like the order in which to resolve night actions. So (s)he would not have to invest a lot of time or follow the game thread. Ideal for an experienced mafia player who doesn't have the time to play. If GOGfather approves of this request, please PM me your CVs.
Bookwyrm627: Most mods ask for a co-mod to help keep an eye on things. I'd be happy to serve this role for you.
Thanks, though if you have the time to play, I'd rather have you as a player. Ditto for anyone considering to be a co-mod: only consider the position if you don't have time/willingness to be a player.
Post edited July 30, 2018 by ZFR
I'd be willing to host again, but it probably wouldn't be a traditional Mafia game and instead some variant that I'm already familiar with (Resistance, Secret Hitler, One Night, etc.) due to the fact I know zip about balancing normal games.
Can I be added to the host list too? I would specifically like to run this Open setup I found on the MafiaScum wiki that looks hilarious, for 12 players.

I won't have time for this until September though.

Edit: GoGfather needs to make a queue..! Joe also claimed a mod spot on the last page.

Edit edit: this game will also have compulsive lynching (i.e. plurality vote at deadline as well as majority) 'cos I want to see how that works with the D1 culture on GoG. >:)
Post edited July 30, 2018 by elebutterfly