It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The penultimate patch.

It's a major milestone in the development of <span class="bold">We Happy Few</span>, as the penultimate major update drops today!

"Life in Technicolor" will be the last update released during the development period, adding new Joy effects as well as a brand new UI (although not final yet), an AI rework and much more. Today also marks the previously-announced price change, bringing We Happy Few to full price.

Of course, this is not <span class="bold">We Happy Few</span> final form yet, as one more major update is scheduled to coincide with the game's official release date.

You can see more recent news about the update and more on the developers' blog.
MarkoH01: So why was the reason such a big secret? I have to say that I still don't understand. The game has grown in scope ... o.k. But if this is the only reason for nearly doubling the price why not simply telling so when we asked?
Well I did mention it, I just couldn't go into specifics :) But the main reason is that announcements take a lot of planning, and putting things out bit by bit doesn't have the impact that a combined announcement would have. The point of mentioning the price increase a couple of weeks ago was so that players who had been waiting for this got notice, it wasn't to drive sales (as I said last week).

I wrote the blog post so that we could be as transparent as possible today. Same with responding to questions here - it's a thank you for your patience.
Manywhelps: There's no IP sale. We've increased the scope of the game considerably, but our dev budget/game scope is so big that we wanted someone on our side to handle publishing. It's a 100% great thing for the game.

Gearbox has been really great, by the way. It's not the same as the Gearbox Software guys, although we like them too. If you want to ask questions about Steve and his team, or Randy, or my opinion on Aliens Colonial Marines, go for it! I'm an open book (within reason).
I was an idiot when i spent more than 8000 hungarian forints ( that's small change for you ) for your game .
victorchopin: As someone who got Contrast as a gift and absolutely loved it from top to bottom, what's for me in WHF?
I saw the trailer once, looks like some dystopian society built into an Orwell-esque concrete jungle and stuff. Cant' deny that it looks pretty interesting.

Oh Intel HD graphics *4evah* btw so I'll probably have to wait a decade or more to boot this game;P
You'll love the world, the humour and the writing. Not too many puzzles though.

That being said, yeah, it won't look very pretty for you. Hopefully we'll be able to optimize enough to lower our min specs to integrated processors, but I've been very wary about promising that. We honestly don't know if it's possible yet.
victorchopin: As someone who got Contrast as a gift and absolutely loved it from top to bottom, what's for me in WHF?
I saw the trailer once, looks like some dystopian society built into an Orwell-esque concrete jungle and stuff. Cant' deny that it looks pretty interesting.

Oh Intel HD graphics *4evah* btw so I'll probably have to wait a decade or more to boot this game;P
MarkoH01: Also liked Contrast. Why is Contrast not yet on GOG btw?
That's because our previous publisher wasn't as open to DRM free as we and Gearbox are.
Post edited August 16, 2017 by Manywhelps
So, a scope increase. Makes what happenned logical.

Not a bug fan of Gearbox but if you guys think it's good for your project, I wish you well.

I do admit that from what I've gathered from the press, it was just a survival sandbox.

Again, shame on the press... and on you for not being clear enough too. :P

That said, personally I don't think this game interests me at that price tag (especially with a 5,80€ tax on it) but again, I wasn't interested at 30, so. No harm done ahah.

Good luck with the rest, sir. Wish you well.
Post edited August 16, 2017 by Zoidberg
So basically the announcment is "We're making a AAA game, and so we're going to charge for it like a AAA game and sell it like a AAA game, complete with DLC's and Season Passes etc."

The only catch here is actually delivering a AAA game. I sincerely hope you pull it off.

All in all, I'm still pleased that I backed this on KS, and thankful that it means I've got a seasons pass already. Seriously, Compulsion has been fantastic communication-wise throughout the development process. I look forward to more weekly updates!

Now, if you could make my one purchase count for all platforms, and implement a cloud-based platform-independent save system so I could play on my XBox one day, and then pick up where I left off on my laptop another day, that would be great! :)
DLC and a $150 collectors box that doesn't come with the game... with that, you've lost me. Still, I wish you the best of luck. I hope the game does well.
Manywhelps: yet.
I can wait! Heh :)
And thanks for the kind answer. Btw your game looks awesome and if it's 10% of what Contrast was... just.. wow.

Good luck with the new publisher!
Post edited August 16, 2017 by victorchopin
Zoidberg: Again, shame on the press... and on you for not being clear enough too. :P

That said, personally I don't think this game interests me at that price tag (especially with a 5,80€ tax on it) but again, I wasn't interested at 30, so. No harm done ahah.

Good luck with the rest, sir. Wish you well.
Yeah, I agree. We did our best but it wasn't quite enough back then. Thanks :)
hummer010: The only catch here is actually delivering a AAA game. I sincerely hope you pull it off.

All in all, I'm still pleased that I backed this on KS, and thankful that it means I've got a seasons pass already. Seriously, Compulsion has been fantastic communication-wise throughout the development process. I look forward to more weekly updates!

Now, if you could make my one purchase count for all platforms, and implement a cloud-based platform-independent save system so I could play on my XBox one day, and then pick up where I left off on my laptop another day, that would be great! :)
Yep, exactly.

Hah, I wish man. One day, if the industry allows it.
ZaineH: DLC and a $150 collectors box that doesn't come with the game... with that, you've lost me. Still, I wish you the best of luck. I hope the game does well.
Thanks man. The Collector's Box is complicated - there are some confidential things that I can't talk about publicly on this but I think you'll see a lot of developers move away from collector's boxes that include the game. If you take a look at Injustice, they were one of the first to do it.
Post edited August 16, 2017 by Manywhelps
Manywhelps: Thanks man. The Collector's Box is complicated - there are some confidential things that I can't talk about publicly on this but I think you'll see a lot of developers move away from collector's boxes that include the game. If you take a look at Injustice, they were one of the first to do it.
In the current environment it make a bit more sense.
It means the goodies are not bound to any platform. You don't make 1000 PC, 1000 XBone and 1000 PS4 collectors editions.

I wouldn't buy a PC collectors edition that was bound to Steam.

As for DLC. Good solid expansions with stories I'm up for. Minor areas with weapon re-skins not really
tremere110: Gearbox has Homework here already
Better write that English paper and solve those math problems!
high rated
MarkoH01: Also liked Contrast. Why is Contrast not yet on GOG btw?
Manywhelps: That's because our previous publisher wasn't as open to DRM free as we and Gearbox are.
Here you can see one reason why I prefer devs without publishers. If they want to be good to their customers they don't need to ask for permission. They just do what they believe in. Same thing goes for artistic visions and more.
Manywhelps: That's because our previous publisher wasn't as open to DRM free as we and Gearbox are.
MarkoH01: Here you can see one reason why I prefer devs without publishers. If they want to be good to their customers they don't need to ask for permission. They just do what they believe in. Same thing goes for artistic visions and more.
Honestly, it depends on the publisher, and on the size of the game. It's very hard to self publish once your development budget increases - you need to sell so many more copies and most of us in development have only a cursory understanding of advertising etc. It's also such a gigantic pain in the ass to manage your own QA, submissions and ratings - it's just tons of additional project management.

That being said, I think it's fantastic that we have self publishing. It's led to so many incredible games.
+1 for collector's box without the game.
Themken: +1 for collector's box without the game.
I feel delighted that we still have collectors editions of books that also contain the said books.

EDIT: As the game is/will be DRM free would it have been much trouble having the games in those collector's editions?
But then I am just a passer-by who is not even remotely interested in collector's editions.

Good luck for the future of the game. Hope working under a publisher won't negatively impact the devs.
Post edited August 16, 2017 by bhrigu
Themken: +1 for collector's box without the game.
bhrigu: I feel delighted that we still have collectors editions of books that also contain the said books.
Nah, what if I want them as audio books? Translated into a smaller language? :-)