It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The penultimate patch.

It's a major milestone in the development of <span class="bold">We Happy Few</span>, as the penultimate major update drops today!

"Life in Technicolor" will be the last update released during the development period, adding new Joy effects as well as a brand new UI (although not final yet), an AI rework and much more. Today also marks the previously-announced price change, bringing We Happy Few to full price.

Of course, this is not <span class="bold">We Happy Few</span> final form yet, as one more major update is scheduled to coincide with the game's official release date.

You can see more recent news about the update and more on the developers' blog.
deleted
Fairfox: I usually hollow out my books and hide candy inside. Don't need actual content!
Hide candy from whom?

Fairfox: I don't eat (/candy).
"Good for your teeth" says Willy Wonka's dad.

Fairfox: I only buy digital.
Digital: a Love Story? It was a good game. However I think it is free.
For that much money, it wouldn't only have to be the best game ever with 100h of not procedually generated and not repetitive playtime, It would certainly have to be multi-platform. 51€ for a Windows only In-Dev Early Access whatever.... no. Just no.
bhrigu: I feel delighted that we still have collectors editions of books that also contain the said books.
Themken: Nah, what if I want them as audio books? Translated into a smaller language? :-)
Those will be available as DLCs.
DAMN... Wasn't expecting the final finished game to be out in April 2018!?

How much is left to do?
Post edited August 16, 2017 by Tequila
Themken: +1 for collector's box without the game.
bhrigu: I feel delighted that we still have collectors editions of books that also contain the said books.

EDIT: As the game is/will be DRM free would it have been much trouble having the games in those collector's editions?
But then I am just a passer-by who is not even remotely interested in collector's editions.

Good luck for the future of the game. Hope working under a publisher won't negatively impact the devs.
I think it would make the most sense for them to put a card inside the collector's box with a code that you can enter on the game's website, which would then e-mail you a redeem code for the game on your platform of choice. This way the game wouldn't be included in the box, but you'd still receive a copy of the game to either redeem yourself or gift to someone else.
to manywhelps- just to make sure, i bought it before the price incress. will i be qualified for the jolly brolly weapon? also, will you realese the season pass on gog as well? with gearbox being owesome for borderlands but not so awesome with no drm stance. i was on the fence for a long time about this game, but ultimatly after reading the blog decided to purchase.
bioshock meet 1984.
victorchopin: As someone who got Contrast as a gift and absolutely loved it from top to bottom, what's for me in WHF?
I saw the trailer once, looks like some dystopian society built into an Orwell-esque concrete jungle and stuff. Cant' deny that it looks pretty interesting.

Oh Intel HD graphics *4evah* btw so I'll probably have to wait a decade or more to boot this game;P
Manywhelps: You'll love the world, the humour and the writing. Not too many puzzles though.

That being said, yeah, it won't look very pretty for you. Hopefully we'll be able to optimize enough to lower our min specs to integrated processors, but I've been very wary about promising that. We honestly don't know if it's possible yet.
MarkoH01: Also liked Contrast. Why is Contrast not yet on GOG btw?
Manywhelps: That's because our previous publisher wasn't as open to DRM free as we and Gearbox are.
Gearbox are now open to DRM-free? Well, I believe that when I see some of their games on GOG.

Honestly, I don't wanna be spewing negativity (I've already bought WHF on GOG by the way) but I have very little trust in Gearbox. They have a less than stellar record if you look at their dealings with Sega and 3D Realms.
Also: while I do really hope you guys are succesful and rake in huge profits, the parts in your announcement regarding "retail practices" leaves a bitter taste. Basically, it sounds like Gamestop got you guys by the balls and now you have to adjust. Maybe that's a good thing (I'm not personally affected by it) but I'm certainly skeptical.
Post edited August 17, 2017 by Mjauv
tremere110: Gearbox has Homework here already
mistermumbles: Better write that English paper and solve those math problems!
Lol, my phone's autocorrect sucks sometimes. I meant Homeworld.
Manywhelps: You'll love the world, the humour and the writing. Not too many puzzles though.

That being said, yeah, it won't look very pretty for you. Hopefully we'll be able to optimize enough to lower our min specs to integrated processors, but I've been very wary about promising that. We honestly don't know if it's possible yet.

That's because our previous publisher wasn't as open to DRM free as we and Gearbox are.
Mjauv: Gearbox are now open to DRM-free? Well, I believe that when I see some of their games on GOG.

Honestly, I don't wanna be spewing negativity (I've already bought WHF on GOG by the way) but I have very little trust in Gearbox. They have a less than stellar record if you look at their dealings with Sega and 3D Realms.
Also: while I do really hope you guys are succesful and rake in huge profits, the parts in your announcement regarding "retail practices" leaves a bitter taste. Basically, it sounds like Gamestop got you guys by the balls and now you have to adjust. Maybe that's a good thing (I'm not personally affected by it) but I'm certainly skeptical.
Geabox have the homeworld games here also I believe, so hopefully will be some more in the future.
high rated

publisher : Gearbox Publishing
Painted_Doll: :(((((((((((((((

* contacting support and ask for a refund *
You know, something just occurred to me... Isn't the whole point of crowdfunding, that dev teams and customers alike don't have to deal with traditional "AAA" publishing companies and all of their bullshit?

To go the crowdfunding and "Early Access" route, and then do a 180 and team up with a traditional publisher anyway ( and one with a questionable reputation, at that ), along with all the typical shenanigans of price hikes, DLC, season passes and pre-order bonuses, seems like a massive slap in the face of all the people who supported the project when it was still advertised as being a small independent production.

Now, maybe in this particular case the negative influence on the project will be minimal, and the devs will still be able to make it a great game, without interference by their new publisher, but somehow this still feels rather fishy.
bhrigu: EDIT: As the game is/will be DRM free would it have been much trouble having the games in those collector's editions?
But then I am just a passer-by who is not even remotely interested in collector's editions.

Good luck for the future of the game. Hope working under a publisher won't negatively impact the devs.
It does add a small amount to manufacturing costs, but the main issue is that if you add a PC version you'd be expected to have PS4/Xbox One as well. Suddenly you've got three skus to manage. So it's a bit more complicated.
Klumpen0815: For that much money, it wouldn't only have to be the best game ever with 100h of not procedually generated and not repetitive playtime, It would certainly have to be multi-platform. 51€ for a Windows only In-Dev Early Access whatever.... no. Just no.
Well, you can always take a look at reviews for whether the hours spent and content is worth it to you, but it is multiplatform. Windows, Mac, Linux, PS4 and Xbox One.
Tequila: DAMN... Wasn't expecting the final finished game to be out in April 2018!?

How much is left to do?
Still quite a lot. Early Access slows down development, which is why today is the last update.
tropit9: to manywhelps- just to make sure, i bought it before the price incress. will i be qualified for the jolly brolly weapon? also, will you realese the season pass on gog as well? with gearbox being owesome for borderlands but not so awesome with no drm stance. i was on the fence for a long time about this game, but ultimatly after reading the blog decided to purchase.
bioshock meet 1984.
Yup you will be. Season pass on GOG I actually don't know 100% but I can't see why not.
Mjauv: Honestly, I don't wanna be spewing negativity (I've already bought WHF on GOG by the way) but I have very little trust in Gearbox. They have a less than stellar record if you look at their dealings with Sega and 3D Realms.
It's cool man - I'm actually trying to talk openly about these things, so please do ask away.

In this case it's not so much about being pressured as it is about "it's just the way things are done now". It's like having to deal with ratings agencies. I have to be calmed down every time I talk with most ratings agencies. The only nice ones are the Germans over at USK (they're super nice). But we do it because you just end up raging against the machine otherwise.
Post edited August 17, 2017 by Manywhelps
Painted_Doll: :(((((((((((((((

* contacting support and ask for a refund *
CharlesGrey: You know, something just occurred to me... Isn't the whole point of crowdfunding, that dev teams and customers alike don't have to deal with traditional "AAA" publishing companies and all of their bullshit?

To go the crowdfunding and "Early Access" route, and then do a 180 and team up with a traditional publisher anyway ( and one with a questionable reputation, at that ), along with all the typical shenanigans of price hikes, DLC, season passes and pre-order bonuses, seems like a massive slap in the face of all the people who supported the project when it was still advertised as being a small independent production.

Now, maybe in this particular case the negative influence on the project will be minimal, and the devs will still be able to make it a great game, without interference by their new publisher, but somehow this still feels rather fishy.
That's one way to look at it. Honestly, when we went into Kickstarter, we didn't think we'd do Early Access. We thought we'd be able to work with a small group of players and we'd generally be fine. But we began to realise what people wanted we needed to find other sources of funding. Likewise when we went into Early Access we weren't considering publishing - and we only did because Gearbox said "go bigger, you can do it". If we had made 10-20x the amount of money on Kickstarter, then we may not have gone down this route. But we didn't.

I don't think it's a slap in the face. The game would not be what it is becoming without all those Kickstarter players. They'll get something much bigger than we anticipated and they bought into. I do think that's cool, although I wish we could bring the full game to them sooner. Likewise Early Access - if people weren't immediately "what the fuck, this is a survival game?" we might not have focused as much as we have on story.

That doesn't mean the game would be worse, or better. It's just different.

That being said, Kickstarter, Early Access, Publisher, Season Pass, DLC, preorder bonuses... I mean we basically played "what pisses people off about game development" bingo. I think nobody in their right mind would plan that from the beginning. And yet, here we are :)
Manywhelps: That being said, Kickstarter, Early Access, Publisher, Season Pass, DLC, preorder bonuses... I mean we basically played "what pisses people off about game development" bingo. I think nobody in their right mind would plan that from the beginning. And yet, here we are :)
I love your honesty. It's great to hear / read how things happened to get to where you are. In the end, I'm pretty excited about the news. I think you are going to make the game that I was expecting when I backed it on KS - more story than survival.

And I think this may avoid the problem I had with Contrast. When it was done, I wanted more.
Post edited August 17, 2017 by hummer010
Manywhelps: but it is multiplatform. Windows, Mac, Linux, PS4 and Xbox One.
Oh? Gog's game card says Windows 7,8,10 and that's it. You might want to look into that.