It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The penultimate patch.

It's a major milestone in the development of <span class="bold">We Happy Few</span>, as the penultimate major update drops today!

"Life in Technicolor" will be the last update released during the development period, adding new Joy effects as well as a brand new UI (although not final yet), an AI rework and much more. Today also marks the previously-announced price change, bringing We Happy Few to full price.

Of course, this is not <span class="bold">We Happy Few</span> final form yet, as one more major update is scheduled to coincide with the game's official release date.

You can see more recent news about the update and more on the developers' blog.
Manywhelps: but it is multiplatform. Windows, Mac, Linux, PS4 and Xbox One.
Klumpen0815: Oh? Gog's game card says Windows 7,8,10 and that's it. You might want to look into that.
The current In Dev version of the game is Windows-only. Mac and Linux versions are planned on release, next year, from my understanding.
Manywhelps: but it is multiplatform. Windows, Mac, Linux, PS4 and Xbox One.
Klumpen0815: Oh? Gog's game card says Windows 7,8,10 and that's it. You might want to look into that.
I believe they will add Mac & Linux support when they release the game.

EDIT: Ninja'd! :)
Post edited August 17, 2017 by Accatone
Since the guys at Gearbox seem to be so awesome, could you Compulsion people please tell them to sell the old Duke Nukem games on GOG again? Pretty please? Or, since they seem to be so pro-DRM-free, maybe we could even get at least the first Borderlands in here? I mean, I love Tales From the Borderlands, but that one is not a Gearbox game, they just licensed the IP to TellTale.

Ah, the joys of passive-aggressiveness...
I'll be fair as I always try (my best, believe me)

1) Game looks amazing. Coming from someone who absolutely loved Contrast my mouth is watering.
2) I didn't like the price raise, nope, but I'm beginning to "understand it". In some way. Still don't think it's completely and absolutely fair.
3) Dev Manywhelps is surely delivering some straightforward polite answers and he's being nice as heck by bringing us a ton of details and whys and so on.
4) It's a matter of choice, afterall. Those prince increases won't be the rule of thumb from now on even for these AAA indie ones or whatever the heck they are. Think about >observer and many many more ;)

edit: 5) Linux. Yay. First Gearbox title for the platform. That's a landmark for a ton of folks out there.
Post edited August 17, 2017 by victorchopin
victorchopin: 4) It's a matter of choice, afterall. Those prince increases won't be the rule of thumb from now on even for these AAA indie ones or whatever the heck they are. Think about >observer and many many more ;)
Sorry for nitpicking, here, but >observer_ is a straight up indie game. It's published by Aspyr, and I wouldn't exactly say Aspyr is a major publisher, they're mostly known for their Mac and Linux ports. Sure, they ported a lot of big-name games, but when it comes to actual publishing, they mostly focus on actual indie titles.

And the only "AAA indie" game that I can think of is Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. Ninja Theory are the only ones claiming the "indie AAA" moniker, I don't know what are the "many many more" you mention. You're either indie or AAA. Or AA, I guess; AA is a thing, to some... the whole "medium studio/publisher" thing.
victorchopin: edit: 5) Linux. Yay. First Gearbox title for the platform. That's a landmark for a ton of folks out there.
This list would suggest that Borderlands 2 and Borderlands the pre-sequel are already Gearbox titles on Linux.
high rated
groze: Since the guys at Gearbox seem to be so awesome, could you Compulsion people please tell them to sell the old Duke Nukem games on GOG again? Pretty please? Or, since they seem to be so pro-DRM-free, maybe we could even get at least the first Borderlands in here? I mean, I love Tales From the Borderlands, but that one is not a Gearbox game, they just licensed the IP to TellTale.

Ah, the joys of passive-aggressiveness...
Message passed on! Can't promise anything seeing as it's just one slack message, but there you go.
While developers/publishers have all the right to price their games at any point, and justify it anyway they want, I cannot endorse a game at full price that explicitly states it's not finished upon official release, and which practically double's it's price. I may as well pre-order an online only shooter with no campaign and limited tutorials and game modes, with the hopes of a better version down the road.

I want this game, but it will have to be 1.) FINISHED, and 2.) at least 50% for me to even consider it. I didn't purchase it before, even though I own many other in-development titles, because I couldn't justify $30 for a game that was, from what I was reading, not done. Some in-dev games are practically done, and that's ok with me. Many are also cheaper than $30. The makers of Planet Nomads realized their price mistake and lowered their game as such, because the game wasn't up to snuff for the price according to the community and undoubtedly the sales numbers.

For the makers of We Happy Few to do this they must have already made a pretty penny. Press exposure for a while tells me that as well...or maybe they're hurting, and this is their way of making up a monetary loss? I don't know for sure, but no money from me until it's less, and done.

They really, really should have kept it at the same price point, and kept it as in-development until it was actually done. If in-development slows down development and the game is rushed out onto the market, sales figures may not necessarily look pleasing, and at the very least you won't have happy customers as the game won't be done. That's deceiving, and unfortunate.

It's still on my wishlist, but it will be a long while before I give it a go.
Post edited August 17, 2017 by JinseiNGC224
JinseiNGC224: (...) I cannot endorse a game at full price that explicitly states it's not finished upon official release
(...)
I want this game, but it will have to be 1.) FINISHED
(...)
They really, really should have kept it at the same price point, and kept it as in-development until it was actually done. If in-development slows down development and the game is rushed out onto the market, sales figures may not necessarily look pleasing, and at the very least you won't have happy customers as the game won't be done. That's deceiving, and unfortunate.
According to these snippets I quoted, you seem to think this was the game's release. Manywhelps and Compulsion Games have been trying to explain this for weeks, now, on their official site, on their forum, on Steam, here on GOG, on several social media: this is NOT the 1.0 release of the game. The game is still In Dev and will remain as such until (it has been estimated) April 2018. They never called this version of the game "finished".

I don't agree with most of the practices Compulsion has embraced in order to make We Happy Few a "bigger, better game", but I would really like it if people actually started reading what they've explicitly said multiple times and stopped just assuming things and spreading misinformation. It's amazing the sheer amount of people here on GOG and on Steam who still believe the release of this last update signals the release of the game...

[EDIT] I just realized that by "unfinished by the time of official release" you probably meant that even though the main game is completed, it's still missing the DLC, therefore being "unfinished". I don't particularly agree with this point of view, but a lot of people -- especially here on GOG -- do, so I won't dispute it. What I talked about before has nothing to do with this DLC situation and, if the DLC is what you meant, please, dismiss my post. I'll still leave it up, though, because there *are* still people out there who think this is the official release of the game.
Post edited August 17, 2017 by groze
I'll wait for Life in EGA, thanks.
Manywhelps: That's one way to look at it. Honestly, when we went into Kickstarter, we didn't think we'd do Early Access. We thought we'd be able to work with a small group of players and we'd generally be fine. But we began to realise what people wanted we needed to find other sources of funding. Likewise when we went into Early Access we weren't considering publishing - and we only did because Gearbox said "go bigger, you can do it". If we had made 10-20x the amount of money on Kickstarter, then we may not have gone down this route. But we didn't.

I don't think it's a slap in the face. The game would not be what it is becoming without all those Kickstarter players. They'll get something much bigger than we anticipated and they bought into. I do think that's cool, although I wish we could bring the full game to them sooner. Likewise Early Access - if people weren't immediately "what the fuck, this is a survival game?" we might not have focused as much as we have on story.

That doesn't mean the game would be worse, or better. It's just different.

That being said, Kickstarter, Early Access, Publisher, Season Pass, DLC, preorder bonuses... I mean we basically played "what pisses people off about game development" bingo. I think nobody in their right mind would plan that from the beginning. And yet, here we are :)
Being frank and transparent about it at this stage doesn't make it any less unpalatable or sway me any closer to a purchase, particularly concerning Gearbox's involvement in any capacity. That said, I do appreciate the frank transparency, and credit where credit is due for being an Early Access title that might actually see a properly finalized launch.
Manywhelps: Message passed on! Can't promise anything seeing as it's just one slack message, but there you go.
Thank you. That was quite nice of you. I appreciate you responding to the comments about why you went with Gearbox instead of publishing on your own.

It makes a lot sense in terms of money. The issue basically boils down to either money or time. It could be done without money but then the release date gets pushed back by I have no idea, a few years, a decade or two. When you have money you could have a team work on more problems at the same time instead of tackling one at a time.

How long would people are really willing to wait? Another question is, especially for people just starting to get into the business of making video games: How long are you willing to delay making something big that a lot of people will buy?
victorchopin: 4) It's a matter of choice, afterall. Those prince increases won't be the rule of thumb from now on even for these AAA indie ones or whatever the heck they are. Think about >observer and many many more ;)
groze: Sorry for nitpicking, here, but >observer_ is a straight up indie game. It's published by Aspyr, and I wouldn't exactly say Aspyr is a major publisher, they're mostly known for their Mac and Linux ports. Sure, they ported a lot of big-name games, but when it comes to actual publishing, they mostly focus on actual indie titles.

And the only "AAA indie" game that I can think of is Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. Ninja Theory are the only ones claiming the "indie AAA" moniker, I don't know what are the "many many more" you mention. You're either indie or AAA. Or AA, I guess; AA is a thing, to some... the whole "medium studio/publisher" thing.
The danes behind "Interstellar marines" called their game "Indie AAA". Things haven't exactly worked out so well for them so far.
bhrigu: EDIT: As the game is/will be DRM free would it have been much trouble having the games in those collector's editions?
But then I am just a passer-by who is not even remotely interested in collector's editions.

Good luck for the future of the game. Hope working under a publisher won't negatively impact the devs.
Manywhelps: It does add a small amount to manufacturing costs, but the main issue is that if you add a PC version you'd be expected to have PS4/Xbox One as well. Suddenly you've got three skus to manage. So it's a bit more complicated.
Klumpen0815: For that much money, it wouldn't only have to be the best game ever with 100h of not procedually generated and not repetitive playtime, It would certainly have to be multi-platform. 51€ for a Windows only In-Dev Early Access whatever.... no. Just no.
Manywhelps: Well, you can always take a look at reviews for whether the hours spent and content is worth it to you, but it is multiplatform. Windows, Mac, Linux, PS4 and Xbox One.
Tequila: DAMN... Wasn't expecting the final finished game to be out in April 2018!?

How much is left to do?
Manywhelps: Still quite a lot. Early Access slows down development, which is why today is the last update.
tropit9: to manywhelps- just to make sure, i bought it before the price incress. will i be qualified for the jolly brolly weapon? also, will you realese the season pass on gog as well? with gearbox being owesome for borderlands but not so awesome with no drm stance. i was on the fence for a long time about this game, but ultimatly after reading the blog decided to purchase.
bioshock meet 1984.
Manywhelps: Yup you will be. Season pass on GOG I actually don't know 100% but I can't see why not.
Mjauv: Honestly, I don't wanna be spewing negativity (I've already bought WHF on GOG by the way) but I have very little trust in Gearbox. They have a less than stellar record if you look at their dealings with Sega and 3D Realms.
Also: while I do really hope you guys are succesful and rake in huge profits, the parts in your announcement regarding "retail practices" leaves a bitter taste. Basically, it sounds like Gamestop got you guys by the balls and now you have to adjust. Maybe that's a good thing (I'm not personally affected by it) but I'm certainly skeptical.
Manywhelps: It's cool man - I'm actually trying to talk openly about these things, so please do ask away.

In this case it's not so much about being pressured as it is about "it's just the way things are done now". It's like having to deal with ratings agencies. I have to be calmed down every time I talk with most ratings agencies. The only nice ones are the Germans over at USK (they're super nice). But we do it because you just end up raging against the machine otherwise.
Well, kudos for the transparency and the fact that you actually take time to answer all questions.

I have personally always longed for more AAA-releases on GOG so I'm happy about things and the fact that WHF is having more narrative focus.

And since you are so transparent, which people would you say bitch the most in the comment sections on average, GOG-players or Steam-players? ;-)
Post edited August 17, 2017 by Mjauv
groze: Sorry for nitpicking, here, but >observer_ is a straight up indie game. It's published by Aspyr, and I wouldn't exactly say Aspyr is a major publisher, they're mostly known for their Mac and Linux ports. Sure, they ported a lot of big-name games, but when it comes to actual publishing, they mostly focus on actual indie titles.

I got bambozzled now by such terms ;P
All I can say is that Aspyr isn't one of the top publishers out there but damn they have a pretty impressive catalog, and a solid one as publishers and devs. Their "indies" such as >observer and Layers are, well, for me, top notch.

Indie AAA/AA and indies can coexist, righte-y? Right, guys!?
:(
Yup, looks like we're back to the 8/16/32/64-bit thing.
I must confess that €50 is €35 above what I'd ever pay for a digital title, but for a full, boxed console title on the PS4, I'm tempted to keep my beady eye on this one. The candour of the developer has been refreshing and the premise of the game remains interesting (even if the game itself is rather barebones at the moment). Not entirely happy with Compulsion's choice of publisher - whether Gearbox Games or Gearbox Publishing, it's still Randy Pitchford - but I'm sure they have their decisions. Also, the decision to offer a season pass makes me a bit suspicious.

But I'll see how the game turns out in April 2018 and pick up the boxed PS4 version if it turns out to be all that.