It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Vingry: Structures: Or Why Things Don't Fall Down by J. E. Gordon

As what the title of the book implies, it is a book that teaches its readers about the necessary knowledge required when it comes to understanding structures, as well as the details that engineers would indulge paying attention to in order for their greatest achievements to not go down in the history of humankind as some of the world's worst disasters.

This book aims to equip its readers with enough level of comprehension towards the topic to a point that they'd be able to at least engage in a conversation about structures with their friends who are engineers.

For people who hate math, the author of this book tried to exert very little amount of complex calculations that would stress the hell out of his readers. As a result, many of the things that the author wanted to emphasise further in the book, get consolidated with graphs that help the readers better understand the subtopics that they're currently reading.
BStone: Cool. Thanks for the tip.

I actually find that I love math when I realize how to use to to accomplish something precisely, and it's explained simply. Ex: Ever watch Michael Van Biezen on YT?

My latest book: A found a copy of "The Machinery's Handbook (9th edition)"! It's in RW units, not the cursed "SI" crap! :)
True, the more you truly understand about something, the easier it is for that information to adhere longer in your mind. Not to mention, progress also brings motivation. And thus, your love towards Math only gets stronger.

Sorry, but I have never seen one of his videos before.
Article: Die Pseudo-Liebe by Franz Ruppert
About the German documentary "Elternschule" and traumas in families.

Edit:
Interview: Bio ist eine Produktion für die verwöhnten Söhne und Töchter von Wohlstandsgesellschaften by Marcel Malachowski
About nutritional trends.
Post edited October 27, 2018 by viperfdl
Tharlo by Pema Tseden
Dark Tower series: Song of Susannah by Steven King
A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge - A reread, this time in English.
The Covenant by James Michener - I've put it away for a while, but I'll definitely continue.
The Complete Robot - Isaac Asimov
Small Gods - Terry Pratchett.

I'll either read the complete Dune or the entire A Song of Ice and Fire next. Any suggestions on which to start ?
Deadmarye: I'll either read the complete Dune or the entire A Song of Ice and Fire next. Any suggestions on which to start ?
Both are great, but for practical reasons I would read Dune first, just to minimize the wait for the next book of A Song of Ice and Fire (it it even gets released...). Do you plan on reading only Frank Herbert's six original novels, or also the sequels/prequels by his son?
Caesar.: Both are great, but for practical reasons I would read Dune first, just to minimize the wait for the next book of A Song of Ice and Fire (it it even gets released...). Do you plan on reading only Frank Herbert's six original novels, or also the sequels/prequels by his son?
At this point I only have the novels from Frank Herbert but I'll be sure to go further once that's read !

Dune it is then. I wasn't aware of his son continuation (discovering the licence), so that's great, thanks !
Article: Es lebe die Schuechternheit! by Roland Rottenfußer
About introverts.

Article: Der Abgrund by Ralph Nader
Translation of Fifteen Ways the Democrats Can Lose the November Elections

Article: Triumph des Boesen by Paul Craig Roberts
Translation of The Triumph of Evil

Edit:
Article: Faschismus 2.0 by Hannah Rosenthal
Translation of Global Neo-Nazism Is Increasing. Why Is The State Department Anti-Semitism Envoy Position Still Vacant?

Edit2:
Article: Regime Change 2.0 by Vijay Prashad
Translation of Regime Change 2.0: Is Venezuela Next?
Post edited November 01, 2018 by viperfdl
Deadmarye: Dune it is then. I wasn't aware of his son continuation (discovering the licence), so that's great, thanks !
Not everybody is fond of his son's books... I haven't read them myself so I can't give an opinion.
Article: Kalter Faschismus by Holdger Platta
About the similarities of the dehumanization in Germany today and in the Third Reich.
I'm done with 15 Dogs. :D

While the language was simple it had some underlying philosophical questions.
E.g. The dogs were given a language nearly as complex as that humans, but can they truly understand humans in their limited capacity and experiences that do not match a human's POV?

I liked how such questions could be uncovered by the reader, but they were not thrown at you.
The book could easily be read just as an imaginary tale of how Apollo and Hermes made a bet involving dogs that they gave nearly human-like depth of thinking to.
Tagesdosis 23.10.2018 - Der amerikanische Traum 2.0: Schwerter statt Pflugscharen
About the USA denouncing the INF and losing its status as empire.

Edit (11.10.2018):
Article: Der Wahnsinn der Milliardaere by Chris Hedges
Translation of The Rule of the Uber-Rich Means Tyranny or Revolution
Post edited November 11, 2018 by viperfdl
Operette morali (Opúsculos Morales in Spanish) by Giacomo Leopardi and Ubik by Philip K. Dick.