It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Shake Hands with the Devil: the Failure of Humanity in Rwanda by Roméo Dallaire. Really interesting read about the Rwandan Genocide and how Dallarie had to deal with different things that made his mission next to impossible to do.
What are you reading?
this thread's comments *ba-dum-tss*
Post edited November 26, 2018 by Gekko_Dekko
jepsen1977: Oh man, you can steal a man's girlfriend, his car, his money, or his pet but you just don't fuck with a book like Tao of Pooh... you just don't do that!!! That Bob is an a-hole whether he is standing up or sitting down.
tinyE: No it's not that. It goes back to my home town.
Beatle Bob was a quasi celebrity who was basically famous for doing NOTHING! Paris Hilton has a more impressive resume that this twit.

What pisses me off he was so adored by so many people who didn't realize that he spent all day shop lifting. He literally went around St. Louis every day all day, shop to shop, swiping stuff. And what do I hear from people, "Hey there's Bob! He's so cool!"

I have to give him credit, he was a GOOD shoplifter. He'd come into my store and I'd follow is ass around watching him like a hawk and HE STILL managed to walk out with stuff. It was amazing.
I know. His "reputation" even made it to Denmark a year or two ago about Beatle Bob Sit Down or something about music (I forget the details) in the St. Louis area. I assume this is the guy you talk about here? These type of bums exist everywhere. In Denmark we have "Lazy Robert" who was famous for not wanting to work and collecting a welfare check and he recently got arrested for dealing drugs.
Article: Gewollte Entfremdung by Immanuel Meyer
About the desired alienation of humans from themselves by the economy.
Article: Bill Browder and his story about the alleged Whistleblower Sergei Magnitsky by Andrei Lwowitsch Nekrasov
I'm currently reading Richard White "The republic for which it stands. The United states during Reconstruction and the Gilded age, 1865-1896".
It's a massive history (almost 900 pages) of the US in the last third of the 19th century. I'm currently at page 370. It's interesting, even if the endless stories of racial violence, labor disputes, political corruption and unscrupulous capitalists get a bit repetitive after a while. But if one's interested in the era, it's worth reading.
I liked the two previous volumes in the Oxford history of the United states better though (Daniel Walker Howe's volume about the 1815-1848 period and James McPherson's classic about the civil war era).
morolf: I'm currently reading Richard White "The republic for which it stands. The United states during Reconstruction and the Gilded age, 1865-1896".
It's a massive history (almost 900 pages) of the US in the last third of the 19th century. I'm currently at page 370. It's interesting, even if the endless stories of racial violence, labor disputes, political corruption and unscrupulous capitalists get a bit repetitive after a while. But if one's interested in the era, it's worth reading.
I liked the two previous volumes in the Oxford history of the United states better though (Daniel Walker Howe's volume about the 1815-1848 period and James McPherson's classic about the civil war era).
I don't know if this is the book that you are talking about, but that McPherson wrote about the Civil War that I liked was For Cause and Comrades: Why Men Fought in the Civil War. If not can you tell me the name of the book that you referencing, please.

Yeah, the post-Civil War era that the U.S. went through is a really interesting time period in American history, because I had a teacher that said that African Americans had more rights right after the Civil War, than during the Jim Crow Era.

Do you have any more books that you would recommend?
CrazyProfessor2: I don't know if this is the book that you are talking about, but that McPherson wrote about the Civil War that I liked was For Cause and Comrades: Why Men Fought in the Civil War. If not can you tell me the name of the book that you referencing, please.
It's James McPherson, Battle cry of freedom. The civil war era.
It's part of the Oxford history of the United states, and regarded by many as the best single volume history of the American civil war. Long (about 900 pages), but it's quite gripping, I read it in two weeks. Also deals extensively with the prelude to the war in the 1850s.
Can't really recommend you much else, I haven't read that much about 19th century American history. But as I wrote, I also liked the volume by Daniel Walker Howe ("What Hath God Wrought: The Transformation of America, 1815–1848 ") which deals with many fascinating topics like the career of Andrew Jackson, the Mexican-American war etc.
CrazyProfessor2: I don't know if this is the book that you are talking about, but that McPherson wrote about the Civil War that I liked was For Cause and Comrades: Why Men Fought in the Civil War. If not can you tell me the name of the book that you referencing, please.
morolf: It's James McPherson, Battle cry of freedom. The civil war era.
It's part of the Oxford history of the United states, and regarded by many as the best single volume history of the American civil war. Long (about 900 pages), but it's quite gripping, I read it in two weeks. Also deals extensively with the prelude to the war in the 1850s.
Can't really recommend you much else, I haven't read that much about 19th century American history. But as I wrote, I also liked the volume by Daniel Walker Howe ("What Hath God Wrought: The Transformation of America, 1815–1848 ") which deals with many fascinating topics like the career of Andrew Jackson, the Mexican-American war etc.
Thank you.

If you want a good read that is not that long at all, I would recommend Jane Addams and Her Vision of America by Sandra Opdycke. It is around that time period up to Post-WWI and how Addams had influenced the Progressive Era of the U.S. She is also is responsible for Hull House in Chicago during this time.

I would also recommend the McPherson book that I had said too, it is really good. It gives us why the men in both armies fought in the Civil War. There is a reason why the Civil War is said as being fought between brothers.

And I don't know if you care or not but give Shake Hands with the Devil: the Failure of Humanity in Rwanda by Roméo Dallaire. This is also a good read, granted not one that you can fall asleep to because of the topic of the book.

*In my opinion, Jackson is the one of the worse Presidents in American History, but one of the most fascinating ones to learn about. I think I read somewhere, but not sure where (might be wrong), that when he died, he had like 2 bullets in his chest from different duels that he had done.

*Added this part.
Post edited December 01, 2018 by CrazyProfessor2
CrazyProfessor2: Thank you.

If you want a good read that is not that long at all, I would recommend Jane Addams and Her Vision of America by Sandra Opdycke. It is around that time period up to Post-WWI and how Addams had influenced the Progressive Era of the U.S. She is also is responsible for Hull House in Chicago during this time.

I would also recommend the McPherson book that I had said too, it is really good. It gives us why the men in both armies fought in the Civil War. There is a reason why the Civil War is said as being fought between brothers.

And I don't know if you care or not but give Shake Hands with the Devil: the Failure of Humanity in Rwanda by Roméo Dallaire. This is also a good read, granted not one that you can fall asleep to because of the topic of the book.

*In my opinion, Jackson is the one of the worse Presidents in American History, but one of the most fascinating ones to learn about. I think I read somewhere, but not sure where (might be wrong), that when he died, he had like 2 bullets in his chest from different duels that he had done.

*Added this part.
Thanks to you too for your recommendations. Since you mentioned Rwanda: One of the more interesting books I've read this year is David van Reybrouck's "Congo. The epic history of a people". Deals with the history of the Congo from the late 19th century to 2010, and intersects with the aftermath of the Rwandan genocide in the story of the Great Congo war ("Africa's world war") in the late 1990s. I found it very interesting, if often quite grim.
Andrew Jackson definitely isn't treated uncritically in the book by Walker Howe I mentioned...his racism and disastrous economic policies in his anti-banking crusade are treated extensively. Still, his presidency is undoubtedly very important for the later development of democracy and mass politics...a rather ambivalent figure imo.
Pięć lat kacetu by Stanisław Grzesiuk
Attachments:
plk.jpg (137 Kb)
Article: Serie zur Novemberrevolution - Teil 1 by Winfried Wolf
About revolutions in Germany.
Death Gate and I'm not proud of myself: not the best fantasy reading in my life, but definitely not the worst. Piko Interactive made me do it by releasing and snatching the game of the same name loosely based on that franchise. Very odd that books in English are not legally available for my country. I bought Discworld and Wheel of Time books with no issues, but these books are hard to find in digital format.
Attachments:
Post edited December 01, 2018 by Cadaver747
viperfdl: Article: Serie zur Novemberrevolution - Teil 1 by Winfried Wolf
Thats a chapter in history i wasnt aware of, and its hardly ever mentioned, very interesting, thank you.

Right now im reading "What Kind of Creatures are We?" by Noam Chomsky
viperfdl: Article: Serie zur Novemberrevolution - Teil 1 by Winfried Wolf
kaboro: Thats a chapter in history i wasnt aware of, and its hardly ever mentioned, very interesting, thank you.
Oh, no problem, thanks for being interested. :)

Article: Schweigende Laemmer, getroffene Hunde by Paul Schreyer
About how the mainstream media deals with books covering current politics sceptically.