It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Finished Welcome to Night Vale by Joseph Fink and Jeffrey Cranor. Could be described as "scifi-thriller" in funny experimental writing.
Vengeful bk 2 of the series. Great Sci-fi book.

EO's or superhumans that vie for power. If you like Marvel comics/movies, you will probably enjoy the books.
About halfway through VALIS, by Philip K. Dick.

Kind of a nice way of getting your head twisted around before sleep.
Article: Die Demokratie-Illusion by Jens Bernert
About police brutality against the "yellow vests" in France.
Making a little break from french poetry and 19th century ghosts beliefs, to dive into André Halimi's excellent book on denunciations during the nazi occupation of France. All these polite letters (between 3 and 4 millions of them in four years) about jewish neighbours, about "antinationals", about "non-assimilable" coworkers, and about what should be done to them, are an excellent window into the nazi mentality. Which, again, is not a matter of evil geniuses or alien forces mysteriously roaming earth at one point, but "ordinary people", with a very widespread, commonplace mindset, eagerly supporting a narrative of oppressed ethnic identity, and impatient to see it lawfully cleansed of its impurities.

I'm always fascinated by the proximity of nazi discourses from the 30s/40s. A discomforting mirror shattered by those who wish to see it as an irrelevant episode of the past, and who minimize this popular support (letters, journal articles, local politicians) behind the caricatural figures of comic book villains and defeated leaders. It suffices to plunge into those ordinary pro-nazi writings to be immediately remembered that we're still living in the same humanity. Amongst the same normal people. Those reflexes, those mentalities, are always here, awkwardly repressed until a politician succeeds in channeling and validating them.

Basically, it feels like reading today's internet forums.
Post edited December 13, 2018 by Telika
La colmena by Camilo José Cela
The Freeze-Frame Revolution by Peter Watts
I really love it so far. Sounds like one of that great old-school sci-fi classics. Inspiring, interesting and surprising.
Attachments:
pw.jpg (19 Kb)
Secrecy World by Jake Bernstein.
A detailed recap of the "Panama Papers" financial scandal that focuses on Mossacl Foneseca and their role in the off-shoring assets shell-game.
Post edited December 16, 2018 by morrowslant
Just finished "The Haunting of Hill House" by Shirley Jackson. One of my all tme favourite books. Love the atmosphere and the writing style.
Talking brains: a cognitive semantic analysis of an emerging folk neuropsychology from author Paul Rodriguez, 2006.
I made the mistake of starting Moby Dick, what a pile of crap! Great American novel my ass.

Any time the plot starts moving you get blindsided by 30 pages about whale blubber or some such BS.

I get it, Herman, you like whales, now get on with it.

It’s just a chore to read now. No wonder Moby Dick 2 never came out.
Discours de la servitude volontaire (in a Spanish translation) by Étienne de La Boétie
Am about halfway through the lost art of finding our way by john edward huth.
It's a book about navigation through water, land and sometimes air.
Just started Promise of Blood by Brian McCleallan.
Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship
by Robert C. Martin