It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I took a break from schoolwork for a few days and read through The Varger Clan series by Angela Stevens.

While it was slow to start and wasn't as werewolf focused as I expected, it did have very positive messages and amusing character interaction (especially the younger generation).

I felt the supernatural in the books was in the background and served as spice, not the main focus.
The way it is set, the tensions between supernatual races could easily be replaced with human racism and get the label slice of life rather than supernatural.

Despite some minor flaws, I'd definitely recommend it as an inspiring story of surprising depth in character development and their struggle with past wounds and inner demons. Amusing interactions among the youngsters are a welcome bonus. :)

P.S. The first book is currently free on Amazon.

The second series A Black Walker Warrior by the same author focuses more on the supernatural and is slightly more action-oriented. And still amusing because of the now grown cubs.
Post edited December 25, 2018 by Wolfy777
Does a novelization of a tabletop rpg Dark Heresy campaign count?

If you're familiar with the setting, the whole thing is hilarious.

www.theallguardsmenparty.com
Tad Williams - The dark alleys of Heaven

I am on page 66 now and it`s fun. This Bobby Dollar is a funny character. I didn`t know that Tad Williams can write funny too.
Shi Nai'an - Au bord de l'eau (Water Margin / 水滸傳 Shuǐhǔ Zhuàn)
Maxvorstadt: Tad Williams - The dark alleys of Heaven
I'm assuming the "dark alleys" is a transliteration of the German title? For anyone looking for this title in English - it's called "The Dirty Streets of Heaven". And indeed a fun read. :)

I've just started reading Red Moon by Kim Stanley Robinson. Excited to get to meet up with Ta Shu again (ref: Antarctica) - beyond that, it seems to fit expectations for KSR; worth it if you like his style, but not for everyone.
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Jules Verne
Collapse by Jared Diamond. Very fascinating. And I have Ken Follet's World without End on ice for the moment. Someone lent the latter to me which is why I want to finish it, and I'm about halfway through, but I have to say I'm not enjoying it nearly as much as Pillars of the Earth.
David Eddings - Pawn of Prophecy

Never read Eddings before, not that impressed to be honest. It feels like you have to be in your teens to enjoy it.
Mia Couto - O Outro Pé da Sereia ("The Mermaid's Other Foot", in a very literal translation). Really good writer from Mozambique, no opinion on the book yet.
Giving Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow another yearly reading attempt.
Usually I give up on Gravity's Rainbow 80 pages in because I'd read/seen/encountered/played so many World World 2 alternate history fiction/games and was entirely burnt out on the entire World War 2 alternate history genre.
Hoping I get farther this attempt.
A book without English translation. Its title roughly equates to: "How Seneca saved my life". The crush of my life recommended me this, right after our ethical, ideological, completely multilevel and multilayered "dueling". I ultimately found my master (met my superior), someone stronger and smarter than me...

Damn, i wish we could have ended together instead, reading it together, as well... Sheet. She completely wiped the floor with me; yet, i also left my mark on her (and banged one of her close friends even, to boot). Sheet. Crying while reading a book is a first for me. Sheet.

One mere action, ten thousand wrong things come out of it, right after... That's me. And worst of all, she even forced her friend to never see me again, plus relocate. SHEET. Holiday present? Empty hands and a cruel book. This will have to do.
Post edited December 29, 2018 by KiNgBrAdLeY7
Maxvorstadt: Tad Williams - The dark alleys of Heaven
gogtrial34987: I'm assuming the "dark alleys" is a transliteration of the German title? For anyone looking for this title in English - it's called "The Dirty Streets of Heaven". And indeed a fun read. :)
Ah, sorry. Forgot to include the original title.
VWood: 20,000 Leagues of Legends Under the Sea
Jules Verne
Just went through my mind when I read your post. :-D
Post edited December 29, 2018 by Maxvorstadt
Harry Potter & The Chamber of Secrets - J K Rowling

Thought I'd finally look into the series, given it's about 20 years old at this point. Interesting enough so far, but I find the setting much more fun than the actual storyline. It's fascinating to read about lit candles that float back & forth, or about plates of food that refill themselves as you consume, etc.
Becoming a Better Programmer
by Pete Goodliffe
Now reading Caesar by Colleen McCullough.