It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Adol's got the island blues.

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA is available, DRM-free on GOG.com. Grab it now to get this DLC for free: Adol's Adventure Essentials, Laxia's "Eternian Scholar" Costume, a Mini Art Book, and a Soundtrack Sampler.
Ready for a new round of exciting, party-based trouble? Adol and co. get stranded on a mysterious island where ferocious beasts roam. When a blue-haired beauty starts calling to our hero in his dreams, it's time for them to build a village and set out to undo the island's curse.

Feeling overwhelmed? Give your characters a little boost with the Ultimate Resource Bundle DLC DLC.

The free DLC offer will last until April 23, 5pm UTC.
After this whole disaster, all I can do is laugh. All this time spent trying to make the game not a disaster and it still comes out like hot garbage. NISA, just... go away.
This thread is another entry in the "I'm glad I read things before buying titles" compendem.
If they patch it into a working state I can ignore the mosquito swarm of dlc and enjoy the title, but only if/when it reaches a working state, until then I'll keep my money.
I'm finding it more than a little funny that there's more DLC that they listed alongside the game now that it's officially out. Like, just randomly dropping a $20 costume pack on us? Really?

Though, honestly, I just buy the DLC for Falcom games without really looking at it... or at least, I did with previous releases. That's because I knew I was actually getting a quality product from XSEED.
What a mess.

The game actually looks kinda interesting to me, but I'll wait for a year or so, until they've ( hopefully? ) ironed out all the issues, and the price drops to a more reasonable level. Right now, you'd have to be a hardcore fan to support this bullshit. ( But I suspect the hardcore fans of the series have already finished the game several times on console, instead of waiting for the broken PC release. )
PookaMustard: But amidst all that disappointment, I still can't believe that NISA released a DRM-free PC game, for once. I hope that they continue in doing DRM-free releases at least!
Frozen: Well... it's not the first game published by NISA here.
Huh.

Why does that have no release date on it? I swear there was a time when Ys VIII was the only entry under their name.
PookaMustard: Huh.

Why does that have no release date on it? I swear there was a time when Ys VIII was the only entry under their name.
Yeah, the new Silver Case game came out in like.... late March, I think? It's recent.

Curious to see if Disgaea 5's upcoming PC port will find its way here day and date with the Steam release.
Adol's Adventure Essentials, the mini artbook, and the soundtrack sampler were already part of the preorder/early purchase. Laxia's Eternian Scholar Costume is a nice addition, but:

How about giving that $20 DLC bundle to those who preordered, NISA? You know - as an apology for the six months of delay and poor communication? Yeah, it's just a cheat pack, but it'd be a nice gesture. Expecting more money from fans who paid full price in advance - and who didn't refund despite the delay - makes you look greedy and unappreciative.
PookaMustard: I swear there was a time when Ys VIII was the only entry under their name.
It was, but only because the game's very long pre-order phase.
The 25th Ward: The Silver Case was released a month before Ys VIII (March 13, 2018)... So, technically, it was first.
Chacranajxy: Curious to see if Disgaea 5's upcoming PC port will find its way here day and date with the Steam release.
I highly doubt it. We might have NIS America as a publisher on GOG, but Nippon Ichi Software (Japanese video game developer) is a whole other beast...
Post edited April 17, 2018 by Frozen
After playing for an hour, I can only say the following:

The game works without any problems on my gaming notebook.

None of the problems mentioned so far have shown up.
NISA had two tasks that failed miserably: porting the game and translating it. They had the guts of releasing the untested translation on console and waited to fix it before releasing it on pc. Unfortunately the port has been reported as being really poor. So why someone should give NISA money for something they did not do. The game is already overpriced by itself without counting the large amount of overpriced dlc that has no place in a Ys game.
Better leave those tasks to someone that has an actual place in the game industries, not some shady company.

GOG, you curate your releases and prevent a lot of good and interesting games to release on your store front, but a poor and announced port like this has no problem on being served to your customers that will later regret trusting you. Why?
MIK0: NISA had two tasks that failed miserably: porting the game and translating it. They had the guts of releasing the untested translation on console and waited to fix it before releasing it on pc. Unfortunately the port has been reported as being really poor. So why someone should give NISA money for something they did not do. The game is already overpriced by itself without counting the large amount of overpriced dlc that has no place in a Ys game.
Better leave those tasks to someone that has an actual place in the game industries, not some shady company.

GOG, you curate your releases and prevent a lot of good and interesting games to release on your store front, but a poor and announced port like this has no problem on being served to your customers that will later regret trusting you. Why?
Yeah, I wouldn't make this about GOG -- their curation is overzealous as it is... we don't need to make it worse.
MIK0: NISA had two tasks that failed miserably: porting the game and translating it. They had the guts of releasing the untested translation on console and waited to fix it before releasing it on pc. Unfortunately the port has been reported as being really poor. So why someone should give NISA money for something they did not do. The game is already overpriced by itself without counting the large amount of overpriced dlc that has no place in a Ys game.

Chacranajxy: Yeah, I wouldn't make this about GOG -- their curation is overzealous as it is... we don't need to make it worse.
It's not overzealous, it's arbitrary. That is why it is bad to begin with.
GOG has a responsability about bringing good products to their users but seems to costantly failing to do so by either neglecting good titles or by promoting bad ones.
Post edited April 17, 2018 by MIK0
Chacranajxy: Yeah, the new Silver Case game came out in like.... late March, I think? It's recent.
Frozen: It was, but only because the game's very long pre-order phase.
The 25th Ward: The Silver Case was released a month before Ys VIII (March 13, 2018)... So, technically, it was first.
Well, I hope this sets a precedent for future NISA releases. While their work may be poor, they do have a lot of franchises under their wing (for better or worse. Worse probably.)

MIK0: GOG, you curate your releases and prevent a lot of good and interesting games to release on your store front, but a poor and announced port like this has no problem on being served to your customers that will later regret trusting you. Why?
Can see them letting Ys VIII in on the basis that it's part of a series they already approved. Which to be fair, is a much better approach than leaving the game out for a reason or another. I wouldn't like that happening even if the game was a mess; prefer having the whole series on GOG rather than leave a part or two out.
Post edited April 17, 2018 by PookaMustard
Ichwillnichtmehr: After playing for an hour, I can only say the following:

Same here ^^
It work fine on my tower PC.
Maybe the GOG version is better XD
Ichwillnichtmehr: After playing for an hour, I can only say the following:

Reglisse: Same here ^^
It work fine on my tower PC.
Maybe the GOG version is better XD
You guys aren't the first to mention that the GOG version seems to be fine. Supposedly, there's a new build on Steam in steamdatabase, so I dunno... maybe NIS uploaded the wrong build or something insanely dumb like that.