It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Adol's got the island blues.

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA is available, DRM-free on GOG.com. Grab it now to get this DLC for free: Adol's Adventure Essentials, Laxia's "Eternian Scholar" Costume, a Mini Art Book, and a Soundtrack Sampler.
Ready for a new round of exciting, party-based trouble? Adol and co. get stranded on a mysterious island where ferocious beasts roam. When a blue-haired beauty starts calling to our hero in his dreams, it's time for them to build a village and set out to undo the island's curse.

Feeling overwhelmed? Give your characters a little boost with the Ultimate Resource Bundle DLC DLC.

The free DLC offer will last until April 23, 5pm UTC.
This is a crappy port, and the GOG version isn't "magically better" than the Steam one; it's working for some people, and that's great, but it has a lot of issues for others -- like myself.

I'm at a loss for words.

All I'm going to say is that I'm glad the game is finally out, because at least now the fan community can start fixing it, since NISA is obviously too incompetent to do just that (and their track record of downright abandoning their games after release doesn't bode well for chances of us seeing an official patch or two from them).

Way to ruin one of the most cherished Japanese franchises in the West, NISA, while dragging your own -- and Falcom's -- name through the mud. You lost whatever semblance of credibility you had with PC gamers, and I sincerely hope Falcom never again lets you outbid XSEED to get the rights for one of their games.
Time for some well deserved bad press.
https://www.dsogaming.com/news/ys-viii-lacrimosa-of-dana-has-been-released-on-the-pc-and-appears-to-suffer-from-major-porting-issues/
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/04/16/ys-viiis-troubled-pc-port-staggers-into-the-limelight/
https://wccftech.com/ys-viii-lacrimosa-of-dana-pc-graphics/
https://www.pcgamer.com/yv-viii-lacrimosa-of-dana-is-finally-on-pc-but-the-port-is-reportedly-terrible/

I was under the impression that NISA asked Durante for help fixing this port. I guess that they were either lying or the port was beyond fixing even for Durante with a limited time at disposal.
Post edited April 17, 2018 by MIK0
groze: This is a crappy port, and the GOG version isn't "magically better" than the Steam one; it's working for some people, and that's great, but it has a lot of issues for others -- like myself.

I'm at a loss for words.

All I'm going to say is that I'm glad the game is finally out, because at least now the fan community can start fixing it, since NISA is obviously too incompetent to do just that (and their track record of downright abandoning their games after release doesn't bode well for chances of us seeing an official patch or two from them).

Way to ruin one of the most cherished Japanese franchises in the West, NISA, while dragging your own -- and Falcom's -- name through the mud. You lost whatever semblance of credibility you had with PC gamers, and I sincerely hope Falcom never again lets you outbid XSEED to get the rights for one of their games.
Well... maybe, maybe not:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/579180/discussions/2/3288067088101472000/

Some issues have been confirmed on Steam, but not on GOG. Obviously, that might be because there are way more people playing it on Steam, but who knows, at this point?
I'm sure NISA tried really hard.
Attachments:
ys8_team.jpg (48 Kb)
Chacranajxy: Well... maybe, maybe not:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/579180/discussions/2/3288067088101472000/

Some issues have been confirmed on Steam, but not on GOG. Obviously, that might be because there are way more people playing it on Steam, but who knows, at this point?
Chacranajxy, I'm playing the GOG version. Or trying to, anyway. I had this game pre-ordered since September here on GOG because I wanted to show NISA this is a viable store to sell your games, that going DRM-free is not "bad for business", all the while "thanking" them for releasing a game in one of my favourite series in here (which is also where I have the rest of the series, brilliantly ported and published by XSEED).

I don't need sanctimonious old fart "pro-consumer" gamers[*] to tell me it's my fault for trusting, for pre-ordering; it's my money and my fault, it's my responsibility and I'm very much aware of what I did "wrong" and what I "should have done instead". I'm also aware I game on suboptimal specs, since all I have is a low-to-mid-end laptop, and I probably "shouldn't even consider video games in the first place". But the fact still stands my money is worth the same as everyone else's, and I feel mad at NISA for a lot of reasons, because I legitimately paid them for a product they clearly didn't deliver.

You want me to wait for reviews of people playing the GOG version? I'm a person playing the GOG version, it doesn't work for me; internal resolution is locked at 1800p no matter what "resolution" you set it to, keyboard+mouse support is a joke, v-sync keeps turning off unless I force it, if I play the game fullscreen it keeps crashing anytime a video plays, not to mention the laughable localization (I played for ONE HOUR and still managed to come across typos, a complete disregard of past CANON translated terms and overall piss poor translation work). These are issues *I* experienced, playing the GOG version of the game. Other folks playing the same version had sound bugs, too, at least they reported as much in the Dana GOG subforum.

I'm not expecting NISA to fix the game, they're an incompetent, disrespectful bunch, and the only good thing I'm hoping might come of this is Falcom opening their eyes and letting XSEED work on the Ys series, because despite their flaws (mostly the time they took to translate and release Trails in the Sky SC -- the ONLY thing people keep mentioning), they always went above and beyond when it came to Ys PC ports.

[*] not accusing you or anyone of being one of these, but I know what the overall mentality in these forums is.
I just want XSEED back :(
Chacranajxy: I just want XSEED back :(
They're already working on the PC port of Ys: Memories of Celceta, scheduled for release on Steam and GOG this summer, don't worry :P
I'm mostly worried about what's going to happen with Trails of Cold Steel III... would really sting to take such a big step back from the excellent CS1 and 2 ports... and that's not even factoring in how much better the locazliations tend to be.
MIK0: GOG, you curate your releases and prevent a lot of good and interesting games to release on your store front, but a poor and announced port like this has no problem on being served to your customers that will later regret trusting you. Why?
Chacranajxy: Yeah, I wouldn't make this about GOG -- their curation is overzealous as it is... we don't need to make it worse.
Well, with my ridiculously slow internet it's still probably going to be tomorrow before I can play, but even if this is so bad I request my first refund ever on GOG I want this here.

It's Ys, even if they buggered the port, and ALL Falcom games must be released on GOG...

Now, if it's as bad as people say, I may well refund it and wait for the game to hit $20 before picking it back up again (maybe I'll play on Switch, maybe not, but with the fact that Disgaea 5 still crashed on me I'm not too confident in their ability to pull it off there either) No matter how bad it is I do not, and will not ever, wish it gone from GOG because I would pitch a fit if I couldn't have all my Falcom games in my GOG library.

Shame though, Tokyo Xanadu eX+ was just on a launch sale, could've refunded this and got that had I known they'd screw it up after that long of "fixing" the port.
Chacranajxy: Yeah, I wouldn't make this about GOG -- their curation is overzealous as it is... we don't need to make it worse.
liamphoenix: Well, with my ridiculously slow internet it's still probably going to be tomorrow before I can play, but even if this is so bad I request my first refund ever on GOG I want this here.

It's Ys, even if they buggered the port, and ALL Falcom games must be released on GOG...

Now, if it's as bad as people say, I may well refund it and wait for the game to hit $20 before picking it back up again (maybe I'll play on Switch, maybe not, but with the fact that Disgaea 5 still crashed on me I'm not too confident in their ability to pull it off there either) No matter how bad it is I do not, and will not ever, wish it gone from GOG because I would pitch a fit if I couldn't have all my Falcom games in my GOG library.

Shame though, Tokyo Xanadu eX+ was just on a launch sale, could've refunded this and got that had I known they'd screw it up after that long of "fixing" the port.
Yeah, that's rough. Tokyo Xanadu's port is quite good. Only like 4 hours into the game, but I'm loving it so far.
Chacranajxy: Yeah, that's rough. Tokyo Xanadu's port is quite good. Only like 4 hours into the game, but I'm loving it so far.
I held out for this because I love Ys so much more than Xanadu, but not quite as much as the (Thankfully still XSEED) Legend of Heroes games, and both of them were in play when my Vita died (I'd barely finished Toukiden 2 there) so I've not finished either of the games.
Chacranajxy: Yeah, that's rough. Tokyo Xanadu's port is quite good. Only like 4 hours into the game, but I'm loving it so far.
liamphoenix: I held out for this because I love Ys so much more than Xanadu, but not quite as much as the (Thankfully still XSEED) Legend of Heroes games, and both of them were in play when my Vita died (I'd barely finished Toukiden 2 there) so I've not finished either of the games.
There were rumours NISA wanted to keep working with Falcom, some people were saying they were going for Trails of Cold Steel III. In all honesty, Legend of Heroes is probably my least favourite Falcom IP, but, still, I'd be hugely disappointed if after this whole mess Falcom took Cold Steel III away from XSEED to give it to NISA.

Then again, money always talks louder, I guess, and NISA has the Switch market, something XSEED can't promise Falcom the same way.
high rated
It's pretty bad that the soundtrack sampler is LITERALLY 30 sec. versions of 5 songs in a video format - that advertises PRE-ORDERING the PS4 game.

Huh, how come NISA didn't include 5 FULL songs at least - it's not as a big a deal as the other issues people have mentioned with the port, but it's pretty lame to have that be a pre-order addition. Pretty disappointed in what's being offered.
high rated
FlamingFirewire: It's pretty bad that the soundtrack sampler is LITERALLY 30 sec. versions of 5 songs in a video format - that advertises PRE-ORDERING the PS4 game.

Huh, how come NISA didn't include 5 FULL songs at least - it's not as a big a deal as the other issues people have mentioned with the port, but it's pretty lame to have that be a pre-order addition. Pretty disappointed in what's being offered.
Wow...

I think it *is* a pretty big deal. I don't care much for video game OSTs, so I kind of forgot about this sampler, but if NISA wanted to include it as some sort of incentive, that's definitely not the way to do it. I can get the 30 second versions of songs (it is just a sampler, after all), but just 5?! In a lazy video format? And, worst of all, advertising pre-ordering a version of the same guy you already pre-ordered on a different system?! Shady as heck.

I hope more people notice this, because these guys honestly deserve to be shamed for the disrespectful greedy lying douche canoes that they are.
He helped for like a week and left and they undid his, and Falcom's work. Image attached related.
I'm pretty peeved.
Attachments:
Post edited April 17, 2018 by Fenixblade33