It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Adol's got the island blues.

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA is available, DRM-free on GOG.com. Grab it now to get this DLC for free: Adol's Adventure Essentials, Laxia's "Eternian Scholar" Costume, a Mini Art Book, and a Soundtrack Sampler.
Ready for a new round of exciting, party-based trouble? Adol and co. get stranded on a mysterious island where ferocious beasts roam. When a blue-haired beauty starts calling to our hero in his dreams, it's time for them to build a village and set out to undo the island's curse.

Feeling overwhelmed? Give your characters a little boost with the Ultimate Resource Bundle DLC DLC.

The free DLC offer will last until April 23, 5pm UTC.
high rated
FlamingFirewire: It's pretty bad that the soundtrack sampler is LITERALLY 30 sec. versions of 5 songs in a video format - that advertises PRE-ORDERING the PS4 game.

Huh, how come NISA didn't include 5 FULL songs at least - it's not as a big a deal as the other issues people have mentioned with the port, but it's pretty lame to have that be a pre-order addition. Pretty disappointed in what's being offered.
I just downloaded the zip file and verified what FlamingFirewire said...

This is bullshit. The description reads:

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA Digital Soundtrack Sampler includes 5 tracks:

LACRIMOSA OF DANA -Opening Ver.-
NEXT STEP TOWARD THE UNKNOWN
SMASH UP!
ICLUCIAN DANCE
CORRIDOR OF THE LOST AGES
That's downright false advertising. Pretty sure just about everyone thought they would getting five full tracks from the soundtrack in audio format. How is a pack of thirty-second marketing videos supposed to be a preorder incentive?!
Post edited April 17, 2018 by SeduceMePlz
NISA had better keep in mind Falcom isn't Nippon Ichi and Ys isn't Disgaea. Falcom already made them apologize for the poor translation they had initially made, because even Japanese news media was covering how bad it was, and they were forced to do an entire new translation (still not great, but at least better than the original).

I wouldn't put it past Falcom to outright demand NISA fixes this disaster of a port, considering the negative impact it's having. Falcom is used to smooth PC Ys ports by XSEED, and so are the western Falcom fans who play on the PC. They should ask for at least the same quality ports from NISA or whomever hypothetically gets the rights to a PC port of an Ys game.
groze: You want me to wait for reviews of people playing the GOG version? I'm a person playing the GOG version, it doesn't work for me; internal resolution is locked at 1800p no matter what "resolution" you set it to, keyboard+mouse support is a joke, v-sync keeps turning off unless I force it, if I play the game fullscreen it keeps crashing anytime a video plays, not to mention the laughable localization (I played for ONE HOUR and still managed to come across typos, a complete disregard of past CANON translated terms and overall piss poor translation work). These are issues *I* experienced, playing the GOG version of the game. Other folks playing the same version had sound bugs, too, at least they reported as much in the Dana GOG subforum.

I'm not expecting NISA to fix the game, they're an incompetent, disrespectful bunch, and the only good thing I'm hoping might come of this is Falcom opening their eyes and letting XSEED work on the Ys series, because despite their flaws (mostly the time they took to translate and release Trails in the Sky SC -- the ONLY thing people keep mentioning), they always went above and beyond when it came to Ys PC ports.

[*] not accusing you or anyone of being one of these, but I know what the overall mentality in these forums is.
Out of curiosity, as someone who generally doesn't use gamepads when gaming: what keyboard/mouse support issues did you run into? Lack of redefinable keys? Lack of a slider for mouse sensitivity adjustment? A combination of both? Something else?
Erpy: Out of curiosity, as someone who generally doesn't use gamepads when gaming: what keyboard/mouse support issues did you run into? Lack of redefinable keys? Lack of a slider for mouse sensitivity adjustment? A combination of both? Something else?
Basically mouse sensitivity issues that can't be fully configured, camera control slowdown whether with "camera inertia" turned on or off and overall laggy and delayed mouse movement (this could be because my specs are not good enough to run the game smoothly, though).

Keyboard can't be fully costumizable, either. You are only given three preset combinations of movement keys, WASD, arrows and the French keyboard WASD equivalent. I generally like to use IJKL since I prefer to use my right hand to control movement but tend to avoid the arrow keys because of multitap issues, but I can't remap those keys. Also, this isn't that big an issue, but the tutorial cards only show DualShock prompts, they didn't bother to make a general keyboard+mouse or even Xbox version of those screens (in-game context sensitive prompts show the proper key or mouse button you need to press, though -- same for Xbox controller buttons, according to some videos I've watched).

The game is perfectly playable with keyboard and mouse, especially if you own a somewhat decent PC (which I admittedly don't), it's just that I'm way too used to XSEED's Ys PC ports, and those generally have a multitude of options that this port is sorely lacking.
Fenixblade33: He helped for like a week and left and they undid his, and Falcom's work. Image attached related.
I'm pretty peeved.
Thanks.
So they have actually used Durante as marketing material without real benefit for the game, they sure don't have shame. Why can't NISA just close down and leave the gaming world alone?
Out of curiosity, what is the source of Durante's post?
Post edited April 17, 2018 by MIK0
Reported NISA to GOG support for false advertising. Might not produce much in the way of results, but at least GOG will be aware of NISA being shady and hopefully provide an accurate description of what is being offered.
Okay thanks. As a solid proponent of the ESDF-setup, the lack of redefinable keys is kind of a strike against a game in my book. Let's hope NISA can take another long look at their product and maybe take a look or two at the Cold Steel ports that were released the last half year.

And as far as I know, NISA didn't use Durante as some kind of marketing ploy...they merely had him take a look at a few things, but not to the point where he'd even qualify as an unofficial consultant. (his posts are from the Ys thread on the Resetera forums)
Post edited April 17, 2018 by Erpy
Erpy: Okay thanks. As a solid proponent of the ESDF-setup, the lack of redefinable keys is kind of a strike against a game in my book. Let's hope NISA can take another long look at their product and maybe take a look or two at the Cold Steel ports that were released the last half year.

And as far as I know, NISA didn't use Durante as some kind of marketing ploy...they merely had him take a look at a few things, but not to the point where he'd even qualify as an unofficial consultant. (his posts are from the Ys thread on the Resetera forums)
Yes, but they were quick to bring it to the news as good publicity. Given the result in hindsight they used it more for marketing than for fixing the game.
Just curious, is the GOG version experiencing the same crashes and bugs as the Steam version?
astroclay: Just curious, is the GOG version experiencing the same crashes and bugs as the Steam version?
Hate to be that guy but "It's fine for me" - (Intel i7700HQ / GTX 1070 (in discreet mode) / 16 GB 2400Mhz DDR4 RAM / Windows 10 Pro yadda yadda yadda)

Granted I'm using an Xbox 360 controller and haven't done an awful lot yet aside from run around for a few minutes in the game's opening area
astroclay: Just curious, is the GOG version experiencing the same crashes and bugs as the Steam version?
Bigs: Hate to be that guy but "It's fine for me" - (Intel i7700HQ / GTX 1070 (in discreet mode) / 16 GB 2400Mhz DDR4 RAM / Windows 10 Pro yadda yadda yadda)

Granted I'm using an Xbox 360 controller and haven't done an awful lot yet aside from run around for a few minutes in the game's opening area
That may be the thing. Most of the crashes people reported took place inside cutscenes and at the start of Chapter 1.
SeduceMePlz: How about giving that $20 DLC bundle to those who preordered, NISA? You know - as an apology for the six months of delay and poor communication? Yeah, it's just a cheat pack, but it'd be a nice gesture. Expecting more money from fans who paid full price in advance - and who didn't refund despite the delay - makes you look greedy and unappreciative.
I second this.
SeduceMePlz: How about giving that $20 DLC bundle to those who preordered, NISA? You know - as an apology for the six months of delay and poor communication? Yeah, it's just a cheat pack, but it'd be a nice gesture. Expecting more money from fans who paid full price in advance - and who didn't refund despite the delay - makes you look greedy and unappreciative.
YeOlde: I second this.
Thirded
Only major technical issue I've had with the GOG version on my end is skipping music which I fixed by changing my playback device. The game hasn't crashed on me once over the course of the five or so hours I've spent with it thus far (I'm in the middle of Chapter 2), and the framerate has been consistently high. My only real complaint is I had to do a lot of tweaking with the camera to make the game feel playable on a keyboard and mouse setup. Finally found a sweet spot at 1 Vertical, 6 Horizontal with both auto lock settings set to Strong.

The white flickering I experienced in one part of the Coral Forest dungeon could be a tech issue, but it fortunately didn't make the game unplayable.
Post edited April 17, 2018 by Talonfire
@ 54.99 euros (or even more) you always expect some miracles from any game, the lower the price the less higher expectations will be, maybe if the game had 'problems' listed at 9.99 EU or US $ , reactions might have been milder for sure.

System requirements are also quite high, thats why i stick at 24.99 euros max for a (very good) game, usually around 9.99 to 14.,99 is the average price i pay for games, this way if a game 'lets you down' the frustrations will be less then @54.99 euros.

Anyway i love buying games at sales at 6 or 7 euros cause if a game 'fails' or let's me down' or simply doesnt live up to my expectations it will be easier to 'let it go' , take it as a loss ( a small and cheap one) and 'blacklist' the devs/publishers, write the names on a notepad or wordpad document ( or even a excel spreadsheet list) to make sure never to buy games from them, cause once bitten, twice shy. Steam has some devs/publisher who do 'bad' things like never respond to bug reports or other questions , which sounds weird but it's true: some devs never answer any questions or bug reports they just ignore their users.
Post edited April 17, 2018 by gamesfreak64